Retired mechanical engineer with recording as a hobby. I buy and sell recording microphones to support the recording hobby.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOW

I am presently looking for the wiring diagram for a Neumann KM84 with a 6 pin male connection. I would like to convert the 6 pin Tuchel to an XLR.

Not really sure why it would have a 6 pin connector unless its a tube version .

Attachments

• km84.JPG
    km84.JPG
    43.7 KB
It is a very early version with serial number 190. It does not have a tube.

Attachments

• PXL_20220830_161607678.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220830_161607678.MP.jpg
    355.5 KB
  • PXL_20220830_153413716.jpg
    PXL_20220830_153413716.jpg
    230.8 KB
I was wrong! You were right. It does have a tube. Any ideas what this is?

KM64, most likely, with a replaced capsule.

Black badge or purple? If black, it’s a KM64.

Cool mic. You’ll need to source a power supply, obviously.

I’ll advise against working on it yourself. The AC701k inside is very fragile and many things about these mics are more complex than they first seem (including lead orientation/layout of the AC701k, and cleanliness of internal surfaces and components)

Not a job for your average “re-capped my own amp” solder slinger. Not to say it’s impossible to learn to be a very good tube mic tech, but a vintage KM64 isn’t the mic to learn on

Either sell it as-is, or send it to someone like Tom Onofrio.

Last edited:
Thank you for helping me. The badge is missing. I certainly will not work on it myself. I will call Tom next week and ask his advice. Depending on his suggestions I might try to return it for a refund. It was advertised as KM84.Thank you very much for your help.
Chris

Back