Revelator Condenser mic

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GiovanniR

A question from an enthusiast with little technical knowledge.
I wanted to change the capsules of this Presonus microphone. I measured that the current to the capsules is 4.5V. I had some JLI-3412 electrets but it doesn't even turn them on and I don't think it can turn on a normal condenser capsule. What kind of capsules does it have? Can someone help me?
Thank you so much!

Screenshot 1.png

Even though it's an electret, I don't think the JLI-3412 does not have an internal JFET, while the stock capsule does. So you'll need to add a JFET if you want to swap the capsule to the JLI.

If that's the stock capsule in the pic, it's just the ubiquitous TSB-160a/165a (or knock-off); which doesn't have an internal FET.

Maybe there's an SMD FET tacked onto the back?

From the looks of the capsule holder, it had two of those capsules in it, back to back?

The associated control unit might have active EQ in it for those capsules, so swapping them out might give unpredictable results.

Last edited:
Some pictures here. Hope this help. Presonus customer care do not reveal technical details about their capsule!
Thanks for your time

Attachments

• Screenshot 2.png
    Screenshot 2.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 3.png
    Screenshot 3.png
    873.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 4.png
    Screenshot 4.png
    397.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 5.png
    Screenshot 5.png
    340.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 6.png
    Screenshot 6.png
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 7.png
    Screenshot 7.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 8.png
    Screenshot 8.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 9.png
    Screenshot 9.png
  • Screenshot 10.png
    Screenshot 10.png
Yes - those capsules have built-in FETs, so the JLI-3412s will not work. Those capsules look like a 2-wire version of the JLI-160A.
https://www.jlielectronics.com/content/JLI-160A11UC680.pdf
These, from JLI Electronics might be worth a try; you'll have to the mod circuit of the mic to that shown in the data sheet. The FET of the original capsule is wired for only two connections, the 2590 has a three-wire connection.
https://www.jlielectronics.com/content/JLI-2590A.pdf
These might work as a drop-in replacement (two-wire connection), but the mic's source resistor may need to be changed to the value shown on the data sheet, for optimum results. These are excellent capsules and worth the price.
https://micbooster.com/microphone-c...m200-cardioid-electret.html#/99-type-no_wires

Last edited:
If that's the stock capsule in the pic, it's just the ubiquitous TSB-160a/165a (or knock-off); which doesn't have an internal FET.

Maybe there's an SMD FET tacked onto the back?

From the looks of the capsule holder, it had two of those capsules in it, back to back?

The associated control unit might have active EQ in it for those capsules, so swapping them out might give unpredictable results.
Yes, back to back. Thank you!

Latest posts

Back