Rexer RDD500 (delay)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Script

This one falls into the category of 'Cabinet of Curiosities'.

I picked it up for the case. Still works. Gut or restore ?
Suffers from hum, probably cap related.

Faceplate.jpg

It's called RDD500 digital delay (mono). Unit is from 1984, it says on "Reverb" site, so bordering on 'old-timer' with lots of vintage mojo, I am sure (lol ;) ).
It's by a Japanese company called Rexer. I have never heard of it. Anyone ever seen this unit?
Could well be it's a Japanese clone of something else back then. Any idea what it could be?

RDD500.jpg

Serial number.jpg

Last edited:
AND WHAT ABOUT THE SOUND... GEM OR KARAOKE BOX GARBAGE (has a mic input) ?

Reverb touts:
"Whether you want a slap-back effect with some added grit or long modulated trails, this unit can do both. Overall, it has a bit of a dirty character, almost like a light overdrive[...]

"Doesn't sound tinny and digital, its pretty beefy and gnarly."

Err,
I think, gnarly is pretty spot on, haha

_________
INSIDE (audio and digital board)

Inside.jpg

Audio board (detail)

Equipped with NE571 compander and Mitsubishi 5218 op amps.
(NE571 is antique by now, have never seen one, likely used for overall better noise performance. And have never seen 5218 either. Used in tape recorders, says datasheet. Older than 4558? I smell vintage and more mojo. [Joke] Ding ding goes the dollar bell! [/joke end]

NE571.jpg

Digital board (detail)
So this is how they did delay back in the day ?

digital board.jpg

Digital board detail
(What looks like corroded resistor leads is actually coated?)

digital close.jpg

Other than that:
- Two power transformers for +5VDC and +/-12VDC
- Jacks are unbalanced and look cheap, wires not shielded

Last edited:
I remember seeing similar units to those ones, with the same knobs and looks or very similar.
That's the classic Delay+modulation effects box of the 80s, every brand had their one take on it back then.

it might have some resemblance to any of these units:
Ibanez DM-500
Korg SDD-1000
DOD R-908

Yeah, it does -- unfortunately :ROFLMAO:

The case is extremely nice -- removable top and bottom lids. PCBs and TXs mounted on rails -- everything fully accessible -- look-through. Wow! Plus a full-length mid-positioned vertical rail ideal for mounting tubes, for example. Only downside is the somewhat Bellshwinger-style faceplate. But for 7EUR ? Someone must be kiddin' me...

Ah, I think I am suffering from *mono no aware*.

Refurbish and sell ?
Otherwise I should seriously think about opening a museum ;)

Refurbish and sell ?
You won't get much for it, about 25-50€. If the parameters can be changed clickless, it is still very useful. Does it go into self-oscillation? Dub, reggae and experimental synth guys love these things, me too...

PS: also well useful for a guitar rig or behind a Farfisa organ. Krautrock forever 🤪

Clickless I can't remember, it's been a while. Self-oscillation, it sure does that ..

___
Krautrock, for synth ? Oh yeah, I sure can do that.

My first instrument ever, bought it back in the mid 80s. Last played live around turn of century. Has been collecting dust for several years now... but works... and should sounds like fun for the kids... they love the monotribe. Guess it's time to take it up a notch for them...

Attachments

• IMG_20230128_213822~2.jpg
    IMG_20230128_213822~2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Looks like that Rexer thing is pretty much a DM500. Different config of mSec and Delay Time. Invert Mix output the same.

It's totally possible as Ibanez had other Japanese companies making effects for them.
The guitar effects pedal line from Ibanez in the 70s and 80's was designed and manufactured by a Japanese company called Maxon.

Last edited:
It's totally possible as Ibanez had other Japanese companies making effects for them.
Yes, that was common practice. Many of these devices were also sold in Europe under different trade names, such as Monarch, IDL, etc....

Your delay seems to be a predecessor of these generic devices. I'm sure I've seen very similar units with exactly the same feature set under different names. I'm still trying to remember them.

Rexer unit over here would need a recap -- easy. But also new pots, cos some are extremely scratchy, others even drop out entirely 1/4 of the way when turning. All this would make a refurbish more expensive than the unit is possibly worth...

The self-osci effect is kind of cool though.

Rexer unit over here would need a recap -- easy. But also new pots, cos some are extremely scratchy, others even drop out entirely 1/4 of the way when turning. All this would make a refurbish more expensive than the unit is possibly worth...

The self-osci effect is kind of cool though.
This is often a difficult question whether it still makes sense. The pots look like Alpha (clones?), you should still get them.

If it plays again, such a device can be a lot of fun, especially if you will use it musically yourself.👍 A sale would not make so much sense from my point of view, especially if you have to invest some $$ before.

I bought it to reuse the case ;)

1xC200k, a bit unusual, for modulation speed or depth, but seems available. Shaft length!

1 x 500k with push-pull switch for line /mic select. Available, it seems. Again, shaft length (or drill hole for toggle switch.)

Tested the unit before approval for use by minors.

It was 45 minutes of pure analogue mayhem and bliss until suddenly -- thump , goes the input pot, the scratchiest of them, up in smoke.

Simple 500k log from drawer should fix it, if ditching the switch for mic input. That either breathes back some life into it or...

Back