Ribbon Mic Material

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"...that goes to 18kHz." I'm not trying to pick at your statement, just want to understand it a little better. Do you mean:
1. Extends to 18kHz at all
2. Extends to 18kHz +- 2dB
3. Extends to 18kHz +- 5db
4. ?
The reason I ask is because I want to know if you are familiar with Samar Audio Designs' MF65 which claims "Frequency Response: 20Hz-25KHz (and beyond)" https://samaraudiodesign.com/MF65.html. Knowing this claim, does it meet your definition of "extends to 18kHz?" If it does meet your criteria, how does this affect your present view? If it does not meet your criteria, please elaborate.

Thank you for your understanding and patience.

I'm confused...

Anyway I still have yet to see, listen or use any Ribbon Mic that goes to 18khz.
Well, many modern models go well above 18 kHz +-3dB, including some of mine... typically, you can achieve a 20-20.000 figure using neodymium magnets, wisely designed motor for a short front-to back path, AND a thin enough ribbon.
About the Samar design, the "culprit" of their performance is here: "For an unprecedented top end and balanced frequency response, the company’s owner and chief engineer, Dr. Mark Fouxman, has created one of the most advanced motors with the shortest front-to-back path ever seen in a ribbon microphone."

But if you ask directly to him, Marik can answer your doubt.

Last edited:
Back