Rode NT1A schematic?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Value is not critical. 10 to 47nF is good. They must be ceramic type with very short connections. Best implementation is soldering them directly to the XLR pins.
i think they are type of low pass filter. High value may attenuate the signal and very low value will increase the noise. Am i correct?

i think they are type of low pass filter.
Sort of. They interact with the cable's impedance to short out interference.

High value may attenuate the signal and very low value will increase the noise. Am i correct?
It would need to be very large for attenuating the HF part of the signal. And it will not increase noise. If there is no interference, it will not do anything. If there is interference, it will be attenuated.

Hey , I'm trying to repair one of these. It felt on the ground, and now is making a huge white noise at the output.
Rode%20NT1-A%20schematic.png

I have removed the 100r resistor just before D5, and removed the 100r resistor feeding the 40106, and it was still doing the same noise, I've replaced D5 diodes and the zener, still noisy.

Does anyone know how I could repair it, is there a way to inject a signal to find the culprit ?

Last edited:
Thank you for the method,
All voltages are correct, I've injected a signal, signal restitution at the output is correct, with almost unity gain.
Noise is still huge, even with the mic preamp gain where the NT1-A is plugged at minimum.

Thank you for the method,
All voltages are correct, I've injected a signal, signal restitution at the output is correct, with almost unity gain.
Noise is still huge, even with the mic preamp gain where the NT1-A is plugged at minimum.
Then it can be many things. Most probable causes of noise:
  • 0.33uF capacitor disconnected/broken
  • FET defective
  • Q5 defective
  • 220uF cap disconnected or defective
Since the problem appeared after a schock, I would look for broken joints or PCB tracks.

BTW, I assume that the resistors marked 1m are actually 1 Megohm, not 1 milliohm. :(

So I've replaced 0,33µ, G5, Fet, Q3
Still noisy
Is it normal that it's noisy with the 100r to D5 and the 100r to the 40106 removed (48V only going to the zener and the first 220µ) ?

Last edited:
So I've replaced 0,33µ, G5, Fet, Q3
Still noisy
Is it normal that it's noisy with the 100r to D5 and the 100r to the 40106 removed (48V only going to the zener and the first 220µ) ?
Unfortunately, it can be... The voltage rail must be much higher than normal, probably 30V instead of 15, but it's not an issue.

When I remove the 47µ electrolytics and the 100r resistors feeding the rest of the circuit, I have noise , (like in the attached pic)

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    12.2 KB · Views: 2
I've put this exact same last circuit on a breadboard, and it generates the same kind of noise (from the zener I suppose)
I guess on a working NT1A, some low output impedance circuit drives the outputs of the mic and takes the place of the psu noise?

Latest posts

Back