Roland Dimension D clone.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="okgb"]......Cause i think that the tc rackmount 1210 is likely the greatest single chorus ,...... [/quote]

I had both the 1210 and the Dimension D. The 1210 is great but NOT subtle. In most cases it's way "to much" to my taste. The Dimension D enhances the signal withouth altering the original sound very much. You only hear what it does when you bypass the unit.
I got rid of the 1210 and I still have my Dimension D.....

The only thing on which I found the 1210 very good (and I mean very) was on accoustic guitars....

I love the tc pedal that it is based on , which i own one , so i'd buy the 1210 in a flash if there were a decent price [ why didn't ya call me ? ]
I always thought my 2290 has it's own thing too , but thats digital

the 1210 does have more control for reducing width , intensity , speed & with the cross coupling options as well [ i've never owned one though ]

used in a send you can add as little as you like .

But sure i could go for both [ don't know which will happen first , actually
getting the " D " up on the build que or finding a 1210 for a good price

regards Greg

Ive used the dimension-C pedal in a mix on several occations. wicked box. I feed it with my own transformer based reamp box, then the output goes to 2 DI's and a pair of preamps, which would usually be unused during a mix. the noise level of this pedal, interfaced in this manner, is extremely low. there must be some companding going on. I believe the C has the cross-modulation, just not the stereo input.

Yes there is companding going on. They use the NE570 chip to do this.
Dimension C uses the low-voltage versions of the Panasonic BBD chips and is a scaled down version of Dimension D. If you look at both circuits there is quite a lot more going on in the D version, but yes - the C pedal is nice.

[quote author="clintrubber"][quote author="Michael Krusch"]An even more cheaper alternative: http://www.behringer.com/CC300/index.cfm?lang=ENG[/quote]

They say "Analog 3-Dimensional Sound Effects Pedal" but I guess that analog will be for the I/O. Put otherwise, DSP and no BBD without too much doubt.[/quote]

A while a go I bought a (a different) Behringer chorus pedal for my brother. I thought it was digital, because it was pretty noiseless and clean for such a cheap unit. But when I opened it, I found BBD chips. I don't remember the type, but I might have taken a picture.

Yep. I would expect a slightly stripped down Boss circuit. That's what I found when I compared a Behringer graphic EQ pedal with a boss circuit I found on the web.

[quote author="Rossi"]A while a go I bought a (a different) Behringer chorus pedal for my brother. I thought it was digital, because it was pretty noiseless and clean for such a cheap unit. But when I opened it, I found BBD chips. I don't remember the type, but I might have taken a picture.[/quote]
That's interesting, I wasn't aware of any large scale present-day availability of BBD-chips.

Do you recall having seen a 'familiar' BBD-typenumber in that Beh. chorus ?
Beh. needs obviously a lot of them, maybe they have somebody make them a dedicated one (based on the usual suspects).

Bye,

Peter

[quote author="clintrubber"]That's interesting, I wasn't aware of any large scale present-day availability of BBD-chips. [/quote]Shanghai Belling is making pin-for-pin replacements of some MN32** chips, but those are the lower voltage models. They're available at Smallbear.

[quote author="okgb"]Or Like B*ringer sometimes do , found some cheap and / or obsolete
parts to use[/quote]
Hmm, possibly... but that must have been quite some large stock then, since I assume Beh. sell many many products of each of their types.

Put differently, I can't imagine the suits in the Beh. organisation agree on developing (...) a new product when there's no second source for critical/essential components like BBDs are for such FX-devices.

Just my impression,

Peter

[quote author="clintrubber"]Put differently, I can't imagine the suits in the Beh. organisation agree on developing (...) a new product when there's no second source for critical/essential components like BBDs are for such FX-devices.
[/quote]Maybe you missed my post above. There is a company making BBD's. Electro-Harmonix and Danelectro use them also.

[quote author="Dave_B"][quote author="clintrubber"]Put differently, I can't imagine the suits in the Beh. organisation agree on developing (...) a new product when there's no second source for critical/essential components like BBDs are for such FX-devices.
[/quote]Maybe you missed my post above. There is a company making BBD's. Electro-Harmonix and Danelectro use them also.[/quote]
No, I did see it, but what I said was that it's not unusually that companies require a second source for critical parts. As in a second BBD-fab (from the same or another company) when the first one burns down etc.

Bye,

Peter

But B*ringer ain't your typical company , why do they do anything ?
and at what point do they do anything .

Or like most chinese sourced things , make a run of 10,000 and get out , move on to the next item , any supports comes in the form of the next
product and like the ada 8000 , i wouldn't doubt they were betting on most
of them making it past warrenty

No surprises when it comes to those guys

But what is the next step in getting D D boards ? seems like there is
enough interest

Did anything ever come of the Dimension D design? Did anyone lay their hands on the Behringer CC 300?
Vikki(uk) :thumb:

what is going on with this project?
I would be very interested in cloning a Dimension D...
Anything new about it?

Latest posts

Back