Roland Dimension D clone.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ognam2 wrote:

what is going on with this project?

I started to develope this project some time ago and started the PCB design and obtained the chips etc.
However, I had to go off and finish an album in Italy and so wasn't able to devote my full time to it.
In the mean time several other people decided that they wanted to do their own Dimension D-type projects and I found that my original thread was being somewhat hijacked.
So I therefore decided to step aside and let these other people do their own things independently.

I would suggest you do a search for jhaible Subtle Chorus project, or jfromel Dimension C.

My original idea was for a Dimension D clone. i.e. exactly the same functions (4 modes etc.) same BBD and compander chips, but with slightly more modern op-amps. I always liked the original Roland unit and thought that there would be a demand from people who couldn't obtain a second-hand one.
It's possible that I may revive this project, but I'm not going to post anything about it until it's definite.
That's about all I can say at the moment!

I think this would be a great project and nice addition to my current(purposely limited) collection.

I might be wrong in thinking it wouldn't be the easiest DIY either. Which seems a good challenge...

I don't believe it was hijacked  , just beaten to the punch
i bought from both of those guys and would have boughten from you too
still might
but they took the chance on speculation but may have run out of stock
so it may be your time now

I don't believe it was hijacked  , just beaten to the punch
i bought from both of those guys and would have boughten from you too
still might
but they took the chance on speculation but may have run out of stock
so it may be your time now

Hello Greg.
I think I mentioned in my original thread that I wasn't interested in a race to see who could get their project out first.
When people started posting in my thread that they would be doing their own thing unless I completed by a certain time, I stepped aside.
But I suggested that they start their own threads because I was receiving questions from people about their projects.
As for it 'being my time'. I'm not exactly waiting in the wings to launch my project on the scene. I do have other things to do.
I'm sure Jurgen and John have both done a good job with their respective ventures and if you want a good chorus project, I suggest people contact them directly.

I know this thread has been dead for a while, but I wanted to post a small update. The B*ringer CC300 is an exact clone (or very close to exact, I didn't trace out the entire board) of the Dimension C, using CoolAudio V3208 (MN3208-compatible) BBDs. I was skeptical at first, but it's a decent pedal for $20.

I've got the behringer cc300 and it is indeed all analog, and sounds very similar to the dimension c.

The only problem I've got with it is the small headroom - which makes it near enough unusable as an aux send effect. If it wasn't for this, it'd be superb!!

Is this because it's designed for guitar impedance? Is there any way to increase the headroom? swap opamps? run at higher voltage?

I'll post a picture of the board so you can see what it looks like inside

Attenuate the input and make up for the loss of gain on the output?
Might be noisy but i don't think thats a big problem with fx units like this.
Im considering to put one of these in a 19" case with appropriate psu and input/output amps.

that's what i've been doing - but you do have to attenuate the input a lot - which means more noise when boosting the levels at the other end. was thinking a simple opamp swap in the cc300 might improve the situation

Headroom from opamps is not the limiting factor here. The unit works on 9v, most audio products use 15v bipolar or at least 20v single supply.
Without having checked the schematic i would guess the dim d has something similar, i dont think bbd ic's work with bipolar psu's so they put a differential amp on the input at higher psu voltages, attenuate and amplify later. But I'm not sure, i think the dim-d schematic is in this thread somewhere.

EDIT: typo

I've got the behringer cc300 and it is indeed all analog, and sounds very similar to the dimension c.

The only problem I've got with it is the small headroom - which makes it near enough unusable as an aux send effect. If it wasn't for this, it'd be superb!!

Is this because it's designed for guitar impedance? Is there any way to increase the headroom? swap opamps? run at higher voltage?

I'll post a picture of the board so you can see what it looks like inside

I would love to see those gut shots. Is it surface mount all the way?
Been thinking about buying that pedal.

If its not surface mount, it certainly would be possible to tweak the circuit to accept a higher voltage supply, hence increasing headroom.

Whoops said:
I would not be surprised if B* have done an exact copy from the roland unit

I bought and opened one, but it's been a while (twas around the time I made the Subtle Chorus PCBs), so this is just from memory: BBD chips, and an unmarked bigger chip, so my (rough) conclusion back then was that they kept  the analog signal path, but put the rest into a (digital?) ASIC (?). Not sure if there were any compander chips inside.

Anyway: The lack of headroom, the sheer awfulness of *how* the clipping sounds, and the high noise if you reduce the input signal level, confirmed me to go on with my own project, even though the naked PCBs alone cost a lot more than the whole Behringer unit.

JH.

i just opened my cc300

2  v571 compander
3  v4558m dual op-amps
1  064c - ???

took some pics, will post them later.

Hi every body!!
I still used a DimD last week in session and would love to clone one...
What can be done in order to make this thread go further? dimd is the chorus of choice and I am willing to spend time to make this project see the light.
If there is component that are hard to find let me know and I will search them I am sure there are some sitting somewhere...
So let's do a DimD!!!!! ;D

It was me that started this thread with a view to making it a DIY project but I decided to refer people instead to jhaible (Subtle Chorus project), or jfromel (Dimension C) as I was taking a long time to finish the development of the project and a lot of other people were wanting to do their own thing.
(I did eventually finish my own unit).
There isn't a problem getting hold of the semiconductors. It's the odd things like the 5 way switchbank and the 10 led meter with similar styling to the original Roland unit that are difficult.
I would suggest doing a search here of the names I mentioned above, or do a web search for Jürgen Haible - Subtle Chorus project (I think his web page is http://www.jhaible.de/)
He does PCB's etc.
And yes, you are quite right it is still a great sounding unit.

Back