S800 Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Everyone,
    I Just finished 4 channels of these eq's and noticed something odd I wanted to ask about.  I set all of them up for unity gain with the trimpots.  For some reason I am getting a lot of distortion in all 4 channels but only when they are in bypass.  If I flip the switch and put them in circuit and leave all the knobs at center detent, everything sounds clean and there is almost no audible volume difference.  If I then flip back to bypass the sound remains clean for about ten seconds and then slowly starts to become distorted again.  All pots, switches are working as they should and so are led's.  here is my ground scheme in case it helps define the problem.  IEC input to chassis -> Chassis to PSU ground (AC input side) -> PSU ground (DC output side) to both PCB power supply input grounds.  XLR's are grounded to the chassis tab on each connector and I left the ground pads for the XLR's on the PCB empty.  If anyone has any insight as to what may be causing this please let me know, thanks in advance...

Cap

@Caprock

If you have a look at this pic

s80_input_circuit_p1.jpg

you will see that 1 section of the bypass shorts out a resistor to ground, and if there is no ground to that pad, it might be that there is a 10sec discharge path that leads to the distortion.

Make sure that that leg of the switch is properly grounded.

Peter

Do I need to run the ground wire to the switch, in my case a 3pdt wired as Matta showed in his diagram, or do i need to run the ground wire to a specific solder pad where the bypass switch connects on the PCB?

Ok, it is grounded.  I think the issue I was having is that I was sending a signal close to digital "0" or +18db through the unit and i was distorting the input.  For some reason when I engage the circuit without any pots turned the problem goes away.  I found that around -9 DBf is where my signal begins distorting.  Anything around -18 dbf (0dbu) - -9 dbf is clean.  Does that sound about right for what the input of this circuit can handle?

I'm still deciding on that too. Was making a design for an 8 channel, but I want it so exact it really has to wait until I have the actual cards ready to go so I can make measurements....

Latest posts

Back