Schematics and knowledge sharing thoughts

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good points! I totally get companies wanting to QC their own repairs. Mostly concerned with the ones that have no service centers, and wont share schemos. I would sign an NDA, might be worth emailing a few companies about that. Haven't been offered that solution but I can inquire!
Totally agree most things are easy to get around in a block diagram sort of way. I don't have an issue repairing or figuring out circuits, just prefer having a schematic reference. I have run across errors in schematics for sure! nice to have the unit and schemo to compare!
I understand. But to be blunt, in this day and age there are more companies who copy schematics and put it out as products then companies doing original design. In fact some of our early group diy work was used by a few companies. It wasn’t supposed to be that way. But it happened. So I see why companies hesitate. To me an NDA really shows a you are serious about protecting their stuff and just fixing your stuff. I have a few with different companies for that reason.😎

I've watched significant changes in the audio markets over several decades.

What does it take to be a success (hint more than just a serviceable sku design)?

Ripping off other peoples designs is mostly short term thinking but I have seen some succeed at it.

JR

I have experienced this exact thing... no longer do warranty work for companies, which is mostly test, make sure its deffective, and send them a new unit... or at best, board swapping..
Yes I can attest to that. My last stint the big thing was board swaps for field guys unless it was something super simple. Then the boards came back to the mothership for rework and back into the cycle of use for swaps. While this does expedite things, it really isn't a healthy option IMHO. The better option is field board repair if and when possible as it is the fastest way to resolve things.

Yes, but if you're sold on that old thing and you love it so much you can't live without it, then the manufacturer faces a choice between selling you a "new one" of the latest-greatest flavour (typically over 50% margin) or selling a spare module (a single PCB can easily be as much as 95% margin) ..... or making no money at all because, armed with the circuit diagram, you managed to repair it yourself or paid an independent repair house but either way, no revenue flows to the OEM. There's arguments for both sides, as an engineer I know ANYTHING can be fixed and having worked for equipment manufacturers for 40+ of years, I can tell you that'll be their (cynical) Policies. There are a couple of other reasons, mainly around (perceived) liabilities but the revenue one's the lynch pin.

Latest posts

Back