securing knobs on switches

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morls

Hi,
This is a pretty basic question, but I'm wondering if there are any trick/tips for attaching knobs to switches so they hold securely? I have some Grayhill switches, and I want to use chickenhead knobs. When the switch is in position 1 the grub screw in the knob makes contact with the rounded portion of the shaft, rather than the flattened section. It then slips when I turn the knob, and no matter how hard I tighten the grub screw there just isn't enough grip to hold th knob in place as I click through the switch positions. If I rotate the knob so that the grub screw makes contact on the flattened section it holds securely, but the knob is pointing at the wrong setting on the front panel.
Any ideas/suggestions most welcome!
Cheers
Stephen

Is the switch mounted on a PCB? If not, just rotate the whole switch.
Yes, it’s a pcb mount
You need to create your own flat. The shaft material is usually soft enough as to make it feasible with a small file.
However, some shafts are cemented; you would need to do it with a Dremel and a grinding wheel.
Thanks. I’ve got a dremel and wheel so i’ll give it a go.

Latest posts

Back