Separating stuck Oktava pad & capsule?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hodad

I just picked up an MC012, and it turns out the capsule won't unscrew from the -10 db pad. Anybody have useful suggestions for separating them without destroying one or the other? My guess is there's probably a little light corrosion on the threads that's causing the problem, but that hasn't led me to any clever method for getting them apart yet.

Last edited:
i'd tape off everything but the seam and shoot it with pb blaster, clean afterward with rubbing alcohol assuming it's able to penetrate.  if it's ok on scratchy pots, i see no reason why it wouldn't be fine here.

I'd never heard of PB Blaster before--better than WD40 in this application (ie, is it worth going out & buying a can?)

can you strategically apply heat so as not to get the membrane too hot but to introduce a little expansion--maybe set on a hot pan allowing the pad to heat up, swell and contract.
this would work better if the pad were the external\male thread which I believe it is not.
also apply normal unscrewing force for extended periods to overcome the friction

edit: as poctop says...clever and gentle way to apply force---spray chemicals and heat are not the friends of a mic

I would probably use 2 small Boa tool ( the rubber band tool with a handle ) on on the mic body and one on the other pieces that should do it ,
Hope this helps,
Dan,

Latest posts

Back