Shipping with no signature on EBay - Bad idea!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

critterkllr

I've bought and sold a bunch of things on eBay. I usually try CL or forums first, but sometimes eBay is the only route. Last week I sold a bunch of things on eBay. One of the packages didn't have a signature required. When I checked the status and saw "left on front porch", I knew it was coming. Sure enough, days later the buyer said he never received it and filed a claim.

I know these things can happen. The thing is, this has happened 4 times over the past 3 years. Every single item I have ever shipped on eBay without a signature required has been "stolen" off of somebody's porch. Are people really going around taking things off of porches? Or do buyers see this as an easy opportunity to get free money off of you?

You'd figure I'd learn my lesson, but as I was dropping off 8 packages at FedEx, it appears this one never got insured either. Odd, since all of the rest of the packages had insurance and sig required. It's been one of those weeks.

I usually send packages to the work place as someone is always there to receive it. Then I can pick it up there. I stopped having things go to my place long ago for that very reason. I live in a good complex but that does not guarantee anything as in the past they left packages on my door even when I was home. They wouldn't even bother to knock or ring the bell.  I have also learned that carrier doesn't matter as I have had both success and failure with any of them.  Best advice is to always get a tracking number so you can track the package and always make sure they sign for it unless the buyer says otherwise.

Brutal. Thanks for the heads up...

I've had many packages left at my door...and have sold many things on Ebay....but never had a problem!

desol said:
Brutal. Thanks for the heads up...

I've had many packages left at my door...and have sold many things on Ebay....but never had a problem!

I've had a lot of things left on my porch as well. I'd say almost everything I've purchased was left without a signature. Maybe I've had poor luck as a seller. I think sites like eBay make it easy to forget that you're dealing with another person. Not a company or annonymous screen name.

The good news is that it's easier than ever to head to a post office, UPS store or Kinko's to pick up a package that needs a signature. And if you call the carrier ahead of time to schedule a pickup, you can normally get the package sooner than having it delivered to your house. This is good if you're impatient like me :)

With the tracking raising the cost of post , small items are less worth the bother
taking a few pic of the items as it is being packed is also a good idea .

Back