Should there be a limit on how many threads one poster can have on the BM?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruairioflaherty

It's happened a few times lately where a seller starts individual threads for each item they are selling taking over the BM.  Gearslutz has a (heavily enforced) policy.  Do we need one?

I haven't noticed GS having a policy, I feel like I see long lists from the same people there too.  EVERYTHING there disappears 6 pages down within a day, so there's no scanning that flood randomly. 

As far as multi-item listing goes, one can only put as many items in one post as the subject line will allow, or have fewer people ever notice the item, so there's a limit even there.  It definitely makes a difference. 

A big list from one person can be a pain to see, but it's also easily scrolled past while seeing what it all is, in one way easier than looking at a multi-listing to see what's there.  There is the limit of 'page 1', I seldom look past page 1, and I imagine most people don't either.  Actually, I typically only view using 'show unread since last visit', which seems to sometimes include BM, and sometimes not. 

I dunno, I'm sure people will be on both sides of this fence.

ruairioflaherty said:
It's happened a few times lately where a seller starts individual threads for each item they are selling taking over the BM.  Gearslutz has a (heavily enforced) policy.  Do we need one?

How many's too many for you Ruairi?  Personally if someone's got 3 - 4 threads on the go, that doesn't really bother me.  More might be a bit more intrusive.

A recommended maximum number backed up by a friendly reminder from a mod if someone goes overboard perhaps?

GS have a three-active posts limit in the seller section. Personally, I prefer a one item/one post solution, but I understand there must be bandwidth issues and such. I also feel that there should be a time limit on the number of bumps, for instance only one bump a week.

It's more effective [ but more work ] to promote things one at a time , 
It's easier to leave things on a running thread, seems most people don't abuse
or take advantage of that or not too often, though when there are allot of singles
it can be like someone has their own private forum [ and they bump all the other posts
somewhat forcing others to bump more often. I don't think some limit and combination
of master post & specials is unreasonable, coming from a guy who runs one at time usually
but like any advertising it does work better doing more , more often.
I accept it as it is presently but bow to the greater will , happy to have the BM back in any form.

I never posted anything, but I have bought stuff.  I think it works great as is.

Is there some sort of abuse you are concerned about?

I think the black market is kind of amazing really.  Compared to other places it seems that transactions happen relatively regularly and often at reasonable prices.

bb

On a related topic, I do think the whole "bump" thing is kind of rude, but I don't feel strongly about it.  In a thread where you need an answer, it is ok ... just a plea for help. But just to put something at the top of the list so you can sell it seems sort of like "noise" we as browsers don't need.  If someone drops the price, well that is sort of different, but just "hey look at me" is a free advertisement that interrupts me, costs the poster nothing, and is sort of a rude interruption.

I bump listings at most once a month, many times a longer interval.  Most of what I list sits for as long as a year before bought, and when it does sell it's always within a day of being bumped.  That proves to me the people look at the first page only, and seldom search, at least for what I'm selling.  More often that a month to me personally would feel like I'm abusing the system. 

That is one of the arguments Bumping Vs Multiple postings
keep bumping the same one or shotgun in 1/2 dozen a day
or Limits on both , Could say limit to original prodigy bought items
I'd be happy if I just resold non profit all the grp buy items I'm not getting to!

emrr said:
I bump listings at most once a month, many times a longer interval.  Most of what I list sits for as long as a year before bought, and when it does sell it's always within a day of being bumped.  That proves to me the people look at the first page only, and seldom search, at least for what I'm selling.  More often that a month to me personally would feel like I'm abusing the system.

emrr... I love it when people self regulate... thank you for your restraint... really

I do love the GroupDIY.  There are so few boards where the tone is so helpful and so kind, with really rare exceptions. 

How many boards can you point to where there really are not flame wars?

You guys are great!

I usually keep all things in one single active listing.

But I do bump on occasionally. I didn't knew it's annoying some people.  I'll keep this in mind.

1 bump a week max for each user sounds very reasonable to me, but then : what's the description of a bump ? Many bumps of mine are saying "on hold for x", "item Y sold".
a crude "bump" is what I rarely use.

On one level an update post is different from a plain bump post.  Though on another they are kind of the same, as you can update a post without adding a new post. 

I'd agree 1 bump a week max seems reasonable, comparable to an ebay relist.  Yes, definition of bump then gets important, and abusable.  I think it can only be a suggested guide and hope people follow.  There would be no good policing of a rule. 

It seems this is a non issue for most people.  We don't really have a problem with bumping but a few users (Andre Tcmill for example) will often start 6 or 8 new threads, one for each item rather than a nice consolidated thread (in the manner of OKGB).

Overall the BM is working well so I guess we should leave well enough alone!

I agree ruairioflaherty , more or less we have a good thing going with a good community
I wouldn't like to change because one person said so, though it doesn't hurt to " check in "
every so often. To that end I'll be a little more considerate of my bumps [ if you promise to buy things, ha ! ]
of note sometimes I bump other people's things because I personally feel it's a good item or they deserve it!

Now that we're talking BM.....
Multiple listings of members don't really bother me, I don't mind bumps as long as it's not too excessive, but there's one thing that does bother me :

Non-active members posting in the BM section :

posts of people that only visit the gdiy forum for selling stuff, and new members that join solely for acquiring prebuilt items.
For instance :
-People that want an LA-2 but can't afford one, so, they have a look here, and they can get a dual LA2 for 900 usd, professionally built.
Or more extreme : New members that place their very first post : a new BM thread : subject  "looking for pre built pro compressor/mic/pre/mastering eq", and the message "mail me your offer".

Especially the last thing annoys me.

But on the other hand : Live and let live.

emrr said:
I think it can only be a suggested guide and hope people follow.  There would be no good policing of a rule. 

Absolutely.

I have to say it offends me a bit, and it feels like people are preying on others or taking advantage
when they just show up looking for deals or having the work already done for them . I understand some don't
have the time or not inclined to build and if others get their price then everyone is happy. I like to get ahead
or get deals as much as the next guy, who wouldn't ? and Homemade " custom " build don't always have great resale value
to the average person. It was seeing people show up for the xmas gift thread and never see them again got me.

The two times I've been ripped off , it's come from someone who hadn't been active and suddenly appears and or
someone who was moving. I don't take the B.M. as a money making thing, more so  trying to break even on the projects
I'm not getting to or clean out the misc. parts [ for the most part ]  Although there are way less grp buys these days as people springboard into their own white market businesses as the whole grp grows and evolves, Can't stop progress, or even guide it?

After a rocky start I think the BM/WM division has worked out really well and I buy things from both all the time.

Got ripped of for about $100 recently, a seller on another forum. 

Latest posts

Back