silly SSL clone question...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

This is ridiculous. I promised I've bookmarked every ssl help page I can find.

I'm getting ready to do the SSL over christmas break. I'm just wondering...are the boards set to run off of 120vac or 220vac european style?

I really have been reading. It seems like it would only affect the power supply tranny...right? Or nothing at all, I mean it never gets mentioned in the help threads...

That's the silliest question I've asked yet.

Thank you. Commence flaming.

kelly

depends entirely on your power transformer.

Get one that has a dual 110V primary, then you can run the primaries in series for 220V operation, or parallel for 110V operation.

Could even put in a switch to make it user selectable :D

I guess it's promising that I knew it was the power transformer.

Still, I'm wondering, are all the PCB values for resistors and such for 220v? Or 110?

Sorry,

kelly

Hi Kelly,

The input voltage to the unit is entirely controlled by the mains transformer- and as tmbg states it's usual to get a dual-primary 110V unit that can be series-connected for 220V.

The secondary voltage will remain correct as long as you've got the primary connected correctly. The PCB has all the power supply on it- rectifier, smoothing caps and voltage regulators. The voltage regulator IC's do the magic here- no matter what the low-voltage AC input to the PCB, they maintain the DC voltage at the correct levels (within reason- obviously they can't create voltage if the input voltage is below the output voltage, and they drop the input voltage by dissipating heat, so the higher the input voltage, the warmer they get!)

So no, no need to worry about changing values.

:thumb:

Mark

Wow, thanks Mark and everyone else. You've just cleared up another question for me, too.

The heat issue is interesting...I'm not really close to the voltage regulation/Power Supply part of my textbook yet.

:?

Thanks SO MUCH!

kelly

Latest posts

Back