Simple dual rail PSU from 9V

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NOON

I'm about to get into some experimenting with circuits that require 12-15V dual rails that will be in guitar pedal format using the 'standard' 9V power supply. Not at all demanding for current, tens of mA maximum.
I know of plenty of circuits able to generate negative rails etc but I've also seen lots of modern chips and modules that will happily generate your dual rails from almost anything. Before I disappear down the rabbit hole of datasheets, availability etc can anyone recommend any that they know are well behaved for audio use, readily available and not hideously expensive?

I'm about to get into some experimenting with circuits that require 12-15V dual rails that will be in guitar pedal format using the 'standard' 9V power supply. Not at all demanding for current, tens of mA maximum.
I know of plenty of circuits able to generate negative rails etc but I've also seen lots of modern chips and modules that will happily generate your dual rails from almost anything. Before I disappear down the rabbit hole of datasheets, availability etc can anyone recommend any that they know are well behaved for audio use, readily available and not hideously expensive?

It's an antique, but MC34063 is easy to handle and can be configured for both inverting Buck-Boost to make as much as -32V from 5-18V input and a Boost converter to make up to 40V from 5-18V input.
It remains available widely and even in DIY Friendly DIP case.

Maximum frequency with significant current is ~ 100kHz, so you need to use larger value solid electrolytic capacitors for filtering and the inductors end up big, but you can manage on Veroboard. If using veroboard make a ground plane from copper foil for all the grounds.

Using an additional charge pump you can even add 48V at modest current. So you could make +/-12/15/18/22/24V from just about any input voltage.

If using 5V in -> +/-24V out we are limited to around 200mA, with more input voltage or lower output voltages more current becomes possible.

Thor

Back