"Situational Awareness"

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Roth

I have a long phone call with my elderly Mom every Sunday night (and sometimes other days during the week). She lives alone with her cat(s) and does quite well for her age.

One thing that came up in tonight's chat was the fact she never thought about "what do I do" if something goes haywire when she's at the grocery, doctor's office, etc.

"Mom....keep your head on a swivel and know where the various exits are located."

Mom never paid attention to the alternative exits...she just knows her normal paths in those locations.

Next time I visit here, I'll drive her to her destinations and point out the alternatives. They are (or should be) marked with Exit signs. Mom had never paid attention to that signage.

As for me, I know the way out of the Kroger, Walmart, etc. located at the back of the store. In the multi-story buildings I also know the other choices.

Bri

It’s sad that we have come to that in this day and age. I just saw my niece graduate high school and her generation and her younger brothers all had to do that as part to going to school. It’s not just fire drills anymore like when I was a kid. It breaks my heart that people are willing to commit such heinous acts.
I’ve always kept my wits about me, even when I was made fun for it. I weep for the future.

situational?
Yes.....it could be a madman shooting up the store, or something less evil....such as a fire or tornado.

I was just thinking about helping Mom out when something goes haywire while she's shopping or seeing her doctor.

Decades ago, I worked for a company with the studio on the ground floor of a 22 story building. Execs, accounting, etc. were on floor 11. Later, the execs all moved to floor 22.

Part of the deal was learning the emergency escape routes.....two different staircases located in the same core of the building with the "elevator core".

Bri "old head on a swivel"

As a followup....

Several months ago I was picking up some groceries at a local Dillon's (Kroger) store and spotted an odd person. Semi-short/stumpy and wearing a wife-beater shirt. He had a large handgun (think of Dirty Harry) in his open-carry holster, which is legal here.

I pushed my cart to the back of the store to refresh my memory about exits.

Bri

feel for all my American friends when stuff like this happens , gun ownership is a nescessity in the country for pest control or if there isnt a cop for 50 miles , I cannot rationalise the need for semi and autofire in civilian hands in cities .

Yes.....it could be a madman shooting up the store, or something less evil....such as a fire or tornado.

I was just thinking about helping Mom out when something goes haywire while she's shopping or seeing her doctor.

Decades ago, I worked for a company with the studio on the ground floor of a 22 story building. Execs, accounting, etc. were on floor 11. Later, the execs all moved to floor 22.

Part of the deal was learning the emergency escape routes.....two different staircases located in the same core of the building with the "elevator core".

Bri "old head on a swivel"
Bri,

I totally get what you mean. I am still concerned for my family, let me give you an example

I am worried for my parents as they are getting older.

Around 6 months ago, some guys followed my mother and robbed her (without her even noticing it) an entire months salary plus his end of year bonus.

Some guy who delivered goods to my parents' house asked my mom to type her credit card NIP (security code) in the guy's cellphone to validate the purchase, she had already paid with a legit terminal, so the guy only wanted her NIP to empty her account. My mom is not stupid and told him to piss off...

But more worrying is aIl that happened to us in just the last three months all:

- Three months ago, my parents got an envelope at their door with a bunch of pictures of my father being followed leaving the house, going to the gym, etc... along with a dead threat letter of an anonymous person pretending to be hired by "someone"—he doesn't specify who— to kill my father, and unless my parents move from their house, disappear, and we, his remaining family, make pretend my father is dead, he will have to kill him. The guy who wrote the letter wants to makes us believe he is just a good samaritan who doesn't want to kill anyone but that he has to pay a debt to the people who hired him, he gave my father a 24h deadline to comply and at the end of the letter he left his cellphone number. The police obviously told us this is an extortion scam, you call, they tell you that they don't want to kill you, but that they have to kill you because they owe X amount of money to someone who hired them to kill you, so the only way around is that you give them the money to pay the guy who hired them in order to clear the debt. We just ignored everything and nothing has happened, yet....

- Two months ago, my brother was robbed at gun point, with the gun directly in contact with his ribs, my brother was with his girlfriend, his new car was stolen along with his laptop and his cellphone. The car was found some days later by the police, abandoned in the middle of no where with broken windows....

- 2 weeks ago, some guys tried to scam me when I was selling a piece of pro audio equipment. The scam is as follows: some guy contacts you and tells you he wants to buy what you are selling, but he is "out of town" and he will send his cousins, so a young guy and a woman arrive to check the gear, they call the "out of town buyer" and tell him everything is fine. The guy makes you an electronic transfer and sends you the money, but of course the money never arrives. The transaction is real transaction which can be traced, he gives you the tracking code which you can check online at the Banco de Mexico (the equivalent to the federal reserve) webpage which keeps track of all transactions, but the trick is that the particular bank they are using has a "safety" feature, that unless they type in a code, the funds are never transferred, so the transaction definitely takes place and gets registered but the money doesn't get to you unless they insert the safety code. I told the guy I wasn't going to give him anything, and they started arguing that the money had already been discounted from their account, that I was trying to scam them, that they have friends with the cybernetic police, that they will take me to trial, etc... I called the National Guard and they told me it is a common scam. They stopped insisting once I told them to F*** off.

So that is basically the situation going on down here....

Last edited:
Back