Snake Extensions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siegfried Meier

Hey all!

We're moving our patchbays to a new location in our control room and need to extend many snakes, often 24 channel runs etc. Besides db25, does anyone have a better way this can be done? Any small circuit boards or multi channel connectors I should be looking at to make this an easier and cleaner job?

Thanks!
Sig

I've always liked the EDAC multipin connectors. You attach individual pins to each conductor from the snake....either with a crimp tool or soldering; they sell both types of contact pins. Then, you insert the pins into the plastic connector "body".

https://edac.net/series/516
Bri

I've always liked the EDAC multipin connectors. You attach individual pins to each conductor from the snake....either with a crimp tool or soldering; they sell both types of contact pins. Then, you insert the pins into the plastic connector "body".

https://edac.net/series/516
Bri
EDAC even for connecting snake cables together? We have them on our console, but hadn't thought of them being used to extend...interesting.

EDAC sells a variety of configurations. They sell totally modular variations. In the case of a console interconnect, you have one piece bolted to the console frame while the other part connects to the snake.

However, by selecting the correct "catalog numbers" you can easily do a snake-to-snake connection. Been there done that <g>. Expensive solution....but rock solid if assembled correctly.

If you're curious I will be glad to describe that solution. Maybe without exact part numbers, but with a general overview.

Bri

Last edited:
EDAC sells a variety of configurations. They sell totally modular variations. In the case of a console interconnect, you have one piece bolted to the console frame while the other part connects to the snake.

However, by selecting the correct "catalog numbers" you can easily do a snake-to-snake connection. Been there done that <g>. Expensive solution....but rock solid if assembled correctly.

If you're curious I will be glad to describe that solution. Maybe without exact part numbers, but with a general overview.

Bri
I wasn’t aware of that! I’ve only seen the console style…I’ll def have to check that out.

How frowned upon is a soldered and shrink wrapped connection to extend lines? I’ve done it in the past to line level runs and never noticed any difference. I can see that mic runs might be problematic, especially in high RD areas, but I’m assuming this is done and people don’t talk about it haha.

I wasn’t aware of that! I’ve only seen the console style…I’ll def have to check that out.

How frowned upon is a soldered and shrink wrapped connection to extend lines? I’ve done it in the past to line level runs and never noticed any difference. I can see that mic runs might be problematic, especially in high RD areas, but I’m assuming this is done and people don’t talk about it haha.
It’s allowed but i never approved it in any wiring I have done. Can always repurpose the other wiring.

Latest posts

Back