Soliloqueen's k87(k67) and k47 capsules

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay so I just encountered like the third time in 2 weeks that a capsule mailed by Royal Mail specifically arrived with a displaced diaphragm so I am upgrading UK customers to UPS indefinitely. No clue why this is happening and repeatedly in specific areas of the UK but the damage suggests that the capsule is falling like 15 feet which is absurd... Yikes

My flat K.47 capsule has arrived safe and sound -- took about 2 weeks to get to me here in the UK .
I've initially fitted into one of my OPIC multi pattern mics to try out, using a 65v polarisation voltage, and I have to say I'm very impressed.
None of the hi-mid 'edginess' that you find with many capsules...... A very smooth top end.
The output from both sides seems identical - so no need to adjust my gain compensation pot.
I did measure the capacitance - both sides measure as 68pF on my DMM.
So a suitable candidate for trying out in one of my RF mics..... I shall try it in a figure of 8 configuration.
In theory that will be a balanced bridge, so it will be interesting to see how that performs.

It seems to be an excellent capsule - and at a good price....

I finally received my flat K47 and K87 this week, after spending over a month at customs. Luckily they arrived unscathed.
I mounted them in my D-EF47 and D87 today. First the nudes :

Jetstock Mics 2023-1.jpg
The D-EF47 uses an EF800 I got from TLRT and Moby's BV-08. C1 is a Jupiter copper foil paper and wax cap, C2 and C3 are Mundorf Mcaps.
The D87 is built as per the BOM, and uses the AMI T13 transformer.

A pic in full dress, with my champagne golden micparts V-251 in the foreground.
Jetstock Mics 2023-2.jpg

I hope to have some recordings of both mics by the end of next week.

I finally received my flat K47 and K87 this week, after spending over a month at customs. Luckily they arrived unscathed.
I mounted them in my D-EF47 and D87 today. First the nudes :

View attachment 108244
The D-EF47 uses an EF800 I got from TLRT and Moby's BV-08. C1 is a Jupiter copper foil paper and wax cap, C2 and C3 are Mundorf Mcaps.
The D87 is built as per the BOM, and uses the AMI T13 transformer.

View attachment 108245

I hope to have some recordings of both mics by the end of next week.
Nice finishes! What do you use?

Metal flake, the ultra fine auto flake by Hemway to be exact. It's quite the laborious process, but very much worth it IMO. Everyone I put in front of these mics feels a little bit special.

It's hard to capture in a photo, it requires some movement to get the full effect.
I've always liked metal flake on microphones! My own designs have metal flake, though it's much subtler than this.

Metal flake, the ultra fine auto flake by Hemway to be exact. It's quite the laborious process, but very much worth it IMO. Everyone I put in front of these mics feels a little bit special.

It's hard to capture in a photo, it requires some movement to get the full effect
Totally worth the effort.

View attachment 108245

It's hard to capture in a photo, it requires some movement to get the full effect.
These look very nice! Can you tell more about the process? I found the Hemway flakes, but have no idea how to start something like this.

Are there any pics of your mics online? Would love to see your results.
Still in R&D, but eventually I'll have a hand-built mic line up for sale on my site too. Not with mfg outsourced like the capsules. I'm working on skill and accessibility procedures to help me build an entire microphone quickly. With one component, I can exercise a high level of control and get something consistent as a product that I can live with, but outsourcing an entire microphone and accessory set...I just can't handle the stress of that. What if the hi Z area isn't clean enough? what if everything else is right but the etching on the body is wrong? or the padding in the box is glued wrong? or the grate isn't straight, or the silicone contact pads between the internal rails and shell are misapplied or slightly too thin? no thank you

Still in R&D, but eventually I'll have a hand-built mic line up for sale on my site too. Not with mfg outsourced like the capsules. I'm working on skill and accessibility procedures to help me build an entire microphone quickly. With one component, I can exercise a high level of control and get something consistent as a product that I can live with, but outsourcing an entire microphone and accessory set...I just can't handle the stress of that. What if the hi Z area isn't clean enough? what if everything else is right but the etching on the body is wrong? or the padding in the box is glued wrong? or the grate isn't straight, or the silicone contact pads between the internal rails and shell are misapplied or slightly too thin? no thank you
Hand built mic line up..?..Great,can't wait for this...!

I am actually thinking about making an open source, universal DIY microphone body where all the project files are made freely available and they can be ordered from me or any machine shop. I'm still bouncing around ideas about how the design will work in my head and I might start a thread to take suggestions soon.
I thought about something like that too. I was thinking of basically two style bodies, A roomy U47 sized body but with a spin-off bottom like the U87 for tube circuits. The worst thing about u47-type bodies is taking them apart. you need to buy screws in bulk as you strip them out taking the thing apart too many times.
The other would be a general FET body. Maybe like the U87, but could be straight sided more like the C12 for simplifying the PCB design. No need for trapezoid shaped PCBs or round ones. A body that could accommodate simple rectangular PCBs. Oh, and cut-outs for switches. Those seem to be non-existent in the current crop of Chinese bodies.
Then there is the headshells....
Have to go spend some quality time with Fusion360 I guess.

I got my Soliloqueen Flat 47 Capsule today and I love it! I've used all the biggies in rental mics, and...some of the American re-do's of the Chinese 67's in my mic builds...'sorry, but that's what most are... and this is a very excellent capsule! In a perfect world I would like from the capsule that cool Brass CK12 freq. scoop, or the nice mid-bump of a Neumann K47, but I don't have the money and can always dial it in the post with this capsule...it's gutsy, smooth and has a very good top end without being shrill. I'd recommend this to ANYONE!!

Back