Soliloqueen's k87(k67) and k47 capsules

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Suspect I'll have enough clips to thoroughly bore people soon, but this is one of my pair of U87 clones with the K87 capsule. Just recorded in my front bedroom, hardly a studio environment. Mainly getting some perspective as my plan was to build these then help pay for them by selling my pair of AT4050s. This clip illustrates nicely the things that were annoying me about the Audio Technica mics...

K87 Acoustic Guitar

AT4050 Acoustic Guitar
Crumbs, that's illuminating. Thanks for sharing! I'm looking slightly askance at my AT4050 now...

Crumbs, that's illuminating. Thanks for sharing! I'm looking slightly askance at my AT4050 now...

I always really rated them but now I look back, whether it was Overheads, Guitar Cabs, Acoustics or Vocals I've always been pulling resonances out. And the problem is, once you start notch filtering midrange ringing frequencies, you start noticing the next ones, then the nature of the high-Q filtering starts to introduce its own ringing, and pretty soon I stop hearing an instrument and it's all just annoying harmonics flying in close formation.

That's the lovely thing about these mics, the capsules, and I presume U87s in general - I'm just hearing the instrument, and a little colour EQ for flavour is all it seems to need.

I'm sorely tempted to get a budget valve mic now, and trying out a k47 in it...

Being a Finn I use Soothe many times for polishing lightly
Lightly being the keyword. Once you learn what Soothe sounds like on sibilants you can't unhear it. It almost ruined the "Sandman" tv show for me. Soothe is cranked to the max, just watch a trailer and hear what the actors sound like. Don't need confirmation they used Soothe. I hear this in a lot of recent shows.

k87 orders are a little delayed while i figure out whether i want to wait for the fixings shop to have the insulated screws ready in order to reassemble the entire stock or fix returns instead. the capsules will likely be reassembled by me personally.

Edit:
Added flat $15 UPS option for international customers.

Last edited:
Soliloqueen,

Have you tried some SS circuits with the K47 (flat) capsules? I was tempted to try the km84, but am wondering about the capsule polarization voltage being enough. I guess the fet47 might be an obvious choice, or 87 without the eq circuit, anybody ever do this? Would love to use these in smaller bodies on overheads. . . .

Soliloqueen,

Have you tried some SS circuits with the K47 (flat) capsules? I was tempted to try the km84, but am wondering about the capsule polarization voltage being enough. I guess the fet47 might be an obvious choice, or 87 without the eq circuit, anybody ever do this? Would love to use these in smaller bodies on overheads. . . .
I've built one FET847 with the "normal" K47 capsule and it sounds amazing. I have two more boards built up and I have two of the Flat 47 capsules and plan to build them soon. I love the first FET847 mic I build I plan to build at least 6 and use them all the time. I'll be using the Flat 47 for the next 4 builds.

Last edited:
Soliloqueen,

I have it in my modular system with several ss/tube circuits i can use. Works like a charm.

Soliloqueen,

It sounds great in a U47FET (from Poctop).

the flat k47 is wider
Judging by my measurements of 180° very slightly, it gives very typical 180° rejection response of the original k47. It most certainly isn't cardioid, but still hypercardioid as the original. Or am i missing something?

I'd just like to point to importance of this info. People will soon be spreading the word it is less directional, or almost omni not knowing about HC nature of the original. The same happened with Line Audio CM3 and CM4 because of the honesty of the manufacturer. The difference is minute, and those mics are still very much cardioids, but now it's too late.

Lightly being the keyword. Once you learn what Soothe sounds like on sibilants you can't unhear it. It almost ruined the "Sandman" tv show for me. Soothe is cranked to the max, just watch a trailer and hear what the actors sound like. Don't need confirmation they used Soothe. I hear this in a lot of recent shows.
this might also be izotope rx spectral de-ess i think, which (i believe) is the same algorithm but only for de-essing. difficult to tell them apart but rx is more ubiquitous in dialogue postprocessing

the flat k47 should only be slightly wider, i don't want to overstate it.

Latest posts

Back