Soliloqueen's k87(k67) and k47 capsules

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone,

the Mic with the PCB from Michael Fuchs is successfully built (U87A) and it's working great with a cheap capsule. Now, I plan to switch to a K47 by Arienne until the K87 arrives or maybe I’ll like it so much that I won’t switch it anyway..
I have a couple of questions regarding this:

1. How do the 60 Hz affect the Arienne Audio K47? Can I install the capsule without concerns?
  2. Regarding the feedback network: I'm not sure where it is located in the circuit. Is there a simple way to identify and bypass the relevant part to get a more km84isch mic? (Maybe that’s the wrong thread for this question?)

Thanks in advance for your help!
Follow @Khron 's recommendations and you'll get a good circuit for style 47 or 12 capsules.
✨
But because I suspect that there will be many posts related to this topic, with all kinds of questions, tests, capsules, etc., I recommend you to open a new thread, for example:
"U87ai Fuchs without de-emphasis".
Let's not derail the current thread about @soliloqueen 's capsules, which is very important to all of us.

Last edited:
I just received the two K47 i ordered from Arienne and i have to admit that they totally changed the behaviour of the U47 tube clone i made originaly with a chinese K47. The result is really outstanding and this mic can now compete with it's original counterparts. Generous lows creamy mids and silky hi end, maybe the best K47 in the market today. Chapeau bas madame !

And i forgot to mention her kindness and patience ...

I just received the two K47 i ordered from Arienne and i have to admit that they totally changed the behaviour of the U47 tube clone i made originaly with a chinese K47. The result is really outstanding and this mic can now compete with it's original counterparts. Generous lows creamy mids and silky hi end, maybe the best K47 in the market today. Chapeau bas madame !

Excellent!
Could you post some sound tests?

yes, just implementing the addon system for specifying matched pairs or custom serial number selection. I have a custom product page so this is some amount of work.
Happy Spongebob Squarepants GIF

Waiting patiently...

Are these the historic K47 or the “flat” K47?

K47s of both types begin shipping in the next week. We have more than enough volume to fulfill all outstanding preorders and replacements + enough to remain in stock for a few months. K87s to follow.
I shall put a motion detector in my mailbox so I know the exact moment that it arrives 🤣
Can’t wait.

This website thing is holding me up too much so I hired someone else more familiar with the backend I'm using to implement it properly. I like self hosting a totally custom site as opposed to using some kind of service or site builder but it's work. While they get my product page updated I'm just going to spend the next couple days shipping out all the flat k47 pre-orders

Any news on the K87 troubleshooting?
Glue testing yielded no interesting results. We're still stuck halfway between a k870 and a particularly bassy k67 in bass. Stumped. I can't fly over right now to figure out what annoying tiny thing is causing the tension to drift high so instead we are shipping me a double of all of the equipment (everything, even the shop stand and lazy susan) so I can set up an identical production environment here and figure out what the hell could possibly be going wrong. We've drilled procedure front back and center so it has to be something really small. In the meantime we will make a batch with the problem because it's so mild. The capsules sound fantastic. I'm just very very strict. People who are okay with it not having absolutely monster bass and instead just regular bass can have their capsules on request.

The reason this bothers me so much is because the bass on the V1 was dead on. The V2 is better in every way. It is significantly more refined. The mids are still perfect and the highs especially are glorious. But I don't like taking steps backwards.

Last edited:
Glue testing yielded no interesting results. We're still stuck halfway between a k870 and a particularly bassy k67 in bass. Stumped. I can't fly over right now to figure out what annoying tiny thing is causing the tension to drift high so instead we are shipping me a double of all of the equipment (everything, even the shop stand and lazy susan) so I can set up an identical production environment here and figure out what the hell could possibly be going wrong. We've drilled procedure front back and center so it has to be something really small. In the meantime we will make a batch with the problem because it's so mild. The capsules sound fantastic. I'm just very very strict. People who are okay with it not having absolutely monster bass and instead just regular bass can have their capsules on request.

The reason this bothers me so much is because the bass on the V1 was dead on. The V2 is better in every way. It is significantly more refined. The mids are still perfect and the highs especially are glorious. But I don't like taking steps backwards.
Thanks for the update, sounds like a frustrating and mysterious problem. And thanks for your time and effort for getting this right, I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.

we're serializing and binning the flat k47 too now. i decided we should serialize every capsule instead of just the expensive ones. everyone with an order from before serialization is getting bumped to k47 grade (primary cardioid/omni). if you need a cardioid only or or figure 8 grade capsule instead, let me know. i can replace it

Last edited:
just found out that the differing at 5k between sides is a repeated positioning error (trying to fix the procedure), so all the capsules are significantly tighter than previously thought:
1718399263570.png
vs the uncorrected measurements:
1718399302193.png

will have to update my FR site. still working out the kinks. @kingkorg joked about my capsules being sub 1dB, but he might be right. I'm going to send him some of these to confirm the issue whenever he can measure again. I already suspected this might be the case when I saw the measurements the first time. In theory, it's physically impossible for a k47 to differ in 5k bump between two sides of the same capsule.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back