Soliloqueen's k87(k67) and k47 capsules

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@soliloqueen - What is the sensitivity of K47 flat capsule?
I had this discussion with @kingkorg @soliloqueen @Khron and others when the Arienne K87 capsule went to version 2.0 when the gold surface diameter of the diaphragm was reduced. We then tried to evaluate the influence of the voltage drop provided by the capsule against the reduction of the capsule capacity.
You just have to read the previous posts in this thread.
You will find out extremely interesting things.

I'm told my historic K47 (cardioid) has landed!

I'm out of the country for a bit so won't be able to put a mic together immediately, but I'm very excited this has come available

Was super impressed with the quality of the 1st gen flat K47 and it seems things have only gotten better

Cheers!

I'm told my historic K47 (cardioid) has landed!

I'm out of the country for a bit so won't be able to put a mic together immediately, but I'm very excited this has come available

Was super impressed with the quality of the 1st gen flat K47 and it seems things have only gotten better

Cheers!
Excellent! What are you planning to build, a U47fet or something else? I think that the tolerances are tight enough that the results can be decent in other topology as well.

No, they aren't. If they were tight enough to be used for other patterns they would be a higher bin
Yes, it makes sense. You have also specified this aspect in other posts.
But our pleasure is to experiment, regardless of the predictability of the results.😀

We thank you again for transparency and honesty, for everything.✨

We just finished up QC on the accurate k47s. Here's all 100. Starting on the flat ones now and then once those are done we will do the 87s.
View attachment 129263

Pretty good! Significantly tighter than vintage Neumann but not as tight as I'd like. I might invest in a harder plastic for the spacers.

Could you share where you are with the spacer issue? Does this apply to all capsules or just the 87s?

Same for finding the slight bass drop issue in the k87s?

Now that K47 is up, how does it compare to Flat47 in terms of SPL handling?

Finally, can you share capacitance of each capsule, and any 'ideal' operating ranges in terms of V or mA?

Could you share where you are with the spacer issue? Does this apply to all capsules or just the 87s?

Same for finding the slight bass drop issue in the k87s?

Now that K47 is up, how does it compare to Flat47 in terms of SPL handling?

Finally, can you share capacitance of each capsule, and any 'ideal' operating ranges in terms of V or mA?
It turned out to be the diaphragm tension differing due to inconsistencies in the inner diameter of the jigs that I hadn't accounted for and no not really because the k47 doesn't care as much about this as the k87 because of its different pressure and proximity response. The accurate k47 is 2dB hotter than the flat k47. Both of them can handle pretty high SPL. They should operate fine up to about 75 volts. Both the accurate and flat k47s have 70pf capacitance, the same as my reference vintage k47s. The k87 v2, since it's based on an early 60s k67, has a very low capacitance of about 52pf. The sensitivity of the k87v2 is extremely low. It's a little over half as loud as the V1. That's period correct, the V1 was much too loud, so oh well.

Any news on when the K87V2 are shipping please ?
pretty sure we've fixed our issue, waiting on confirmation from third party testers. After that, we'll go right back into production. At this rate, we might just do a run of 500 of them. Soonest delivery date is ~35 days for non-prioritized orders. Probably looking at more like 45 or 50 days. At the very least, things are actually moving again this time. I might swap the production dates on some of these runs if I can get away with it to get retail customers their orders a bit faster.

Last edited:
got capsules the other day wayyy sooner than i anticipated! moving at a leisurely pace on these builds but once finished happy to post some bass guitar samples of F47 and K47 in 47FETs or 847s. BTW, I noticed "white" or "red" on capsules, is that in reference to your sorting process? thanks again, each one is a thing of beauty!

got capsules the other day wayyy sooner than i anticipated! moving at a leisurely pace on these builds but once finished happy to post some bass guitar samples of F47 and K47 in 47FETs or 847s. BTW, I noticed "white" or "red" on capsules, is that in reference to your sorting process? thanks again, each one is a thing of beauty!
That's the front side on a 47fet capsule

@solilioqueen are the cardioid capsules single sided, or just not as tightly matched? Basically I'm just curious if a cardioid only could be used in figure 8, just with different characteristics based on side or if they are as written and only able to be used in cardioid

Back