Soliloqueen's k87(k67) and k47 capsules

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@solilioqueen are the cardioid capsules single sided, or just not as tightly matched? Basically I'm just curious if a cardioid only could be used in figure 8, just with different characteristics based on side or if they are as written and only able to be used in cardioid
they're just not tightly enough matched to have the nulls at 90 degrees in a switched setup like a u48. you'll get a slightly to moderately hypercardioid pattern if you use a cardioid grade capsule in figure 8.

unlike a u48, there is no reason that a lower bin capsule can't be used in an m49. it just won't result in consistent positions for the patterns on the pattern dial between units or consistent sensitivity at each pattern. IE, with a lower binned capsule, the positions of the patterns on the dial will be rotated randomly. if you are building only a single m49 and don't care about this, you can buy a cardioid capsule and draw the real pattern positions around the dial with marker and save $100 in exchange for an hour of your time.

that being said, eventually, as our tolerances tighten, the cardioid capsules will transition to truly being one-sided because we won't have enough two-sided capsules that grade low enough. I still want to offer lower-priced cardioid capsules even if we no longer have enough B stock to sell, so we will eventually begin production of true 1-sided capsules. You will all be notified when this happens.

Last edited:
Not at the moment, I'm a little busy with k87 and k47 stuff

Also this is still a new product so if you get your k47 and it sucks could you let me know instead of assuming that it's supposed to sound like that? I need all feedback possible. We've got new assembly methods, new boxes, new foam. Impact resistance is still kind of an unknown. I know how they act in the lab but I don't know how they arrive. The quicker I can get feedback the better. This product has undergone a lot of testing by a lot of microphone companies before becoming available for retail customers but that was in pre-production volumes.

So I built an m49 style mic with basically spare parts and a 5718 tube. I ordered an “accurate” k47 and utm bv11 style to try out.
I got to say I am pretty impressed by the k47…it has that familiar low mid warmth I d expect from a Neumann and it’s very balanced and smooth. The high end extension and transient response is mellower than the new original k47 but very close to a vintage one. It also captures that 3D image that Neumanns have a lot closer than other clones I have tried. I am very impressed…this is a totally awesome and legit capsule. Well done Arienne.

a few questions for the unlearned (me):

What is the purpose of the second capsule mount piece, what I've seen placed on the top side of the capsule. Protection in fall, dampening, or...

(For K47) I see 4 threaded holes, one of which is occupied by the ground. How should the top hat (for lack of better term) be assembled?

Finally, the excellent flexible post: threads on both sides are m3-0.5?

Thanks,

they're just not tightly enough matched to have the nulls at 90 degrees in a switched setup like a u48. you'll get a slightly to moderately hypercardioid pattern if you use a cardioid grade capsule in figure 8.

unlike a u48, there is no reason that a lower bin capsule can't be used in an m49. it just won't result in consistent positions for the patterns on the pattern dial between units or consistent sensitivity at each pattern. IE, with a lower binned capsule, the positions of the patterns on the dial will be rotated randomly. if you are building only a single m49 and don't care about this, you can buy a cardioid capsule and draw the real pattern positions around the dial with marker and save $100 in exchange for an hour of your time.

that being said, eventually, as our tolerances tighten, the cardioid capsules will transition to truly being one-sided because we won't have enough two-sided capsules that grade low enough. I still want to offer lower-priced cardioid capsules even if we no longer have enough B stock to sell, so we will eventually begin production of true 1-sided capsules. You will all be notified when this happens.

If you want the normal pattern (with a slight loss in volume), would it make sense to slightly pad the stronger side with a parallel capacitor, so that it matches the weaker side?

getting a lot of calls about clearance and other stuff because intl customers didn't put their phone # in with the order. You guys gotta do that, haha. Never place an international order with no phone number! I'm gonna have to start holding the shipments and reaching via email out to add them to the label.

What is the purpose of the second capsule mount piece, what I've seen placed on the top side of the capsule. Protection in fall, dampening, or...

(For K47) I see 4 threaded holes, one of which is occupied by the ground. How should the top hat (for lack of better term) be assembled?

Thanks,

A friendly bump to @soliloqueen or others that are in the know for some or all of these questions, especially the threads, thanks!

... Or just make it a mandatory text box in the order form..?
i think i managed to do this, thanks.

Thanks,
  1. It protects during falls
  2. To use the cover piece, you need to terminate the backplate through one of the saddle screws, which is the correct way to install the capsule. The backplate wire is screwed into the plate so that it doesn't get lost. I mean, you can use it like that if you want, and a lot of people do, including a lot of mic companies, but it's not technically correct. If you leave the wire where it is, it's in the front to back path of the capsule and may vibrate. I predicted people would do this anyway, so my wire choice is designed to mitigate this. This mistake is common, so I might start including instructions.
  3. yep. glad to see you like the post! It's made to order lol. I'm allergic to latex so I had to have them made from scratch from pure neoprene. Great shock absorption but they're a little brittle. Fine in their use case tho.

Thanks, clears up and/or confirms things, looking forward to getting them mounted in 47FET and 847s. Curious how you arrived at the shore and natural freq of the neoprene. If I still owned a drum set or just kick drum I'd be happy to do some tests of your mounts vs. typical stock and listen/look at audio via spectral view. Some day down the road. I suspect your post may show a significant difference in low frequency 'coherence', similar to the way properly decoupled soffit-mounted speakers do. Hearing that difference helped justify the time and expense to properly accomplish that.
Anyhow, thanks again!

Thanks, clears up and/or confirms things, looking forward to getting them mounted in 47FET and 847s. Curious how you arrived at the shore and natural freq of the neoprene. If I still owned a drum set or just kick drum I'd be happy to do some tests of your mounts vs. typical stock and listen/look at audio via spectral view. Some day down the road. I suspect your post may show a significant difference in low frequency 'coherence', similar to the way properly decoupled soffit-mounted speakers do. Hearing that difference helped justify the time and expense to properly accomplish that.
Anyhow, thanks again!
Honestly I just kind of eyeballed it. Shore 70Aish with pure neoprene seemed stiff enough to avoid the LF rumble of softer mounts (I don't want to have the same problem as like, the rode nt1) but soft enough to decouple and it had great electrical properties too so I just went with it.

Does someone has a link to a capsule support/holder compatible with Arienne K47 flat please?

Ahem ... I bet the Arienne Audio SKU K47A Extra K47 Accessory Kit is reasonably well suited to the task for the exciting low price of just $10. I even bet the inventor/vendor/CEO might possibly include her autograph gratis! See here:

https://store.arienneaudio.com/microphone-accessories/29-k47-accessory-kit.html

James

PS - There is no photo of it on the vendor's website. But, I know a semi-professional macro product and forensic photographer who would do the job simply as a favor in his ersatz home photo studio . . . :) JR 📸🔎

Did yours not come with one?
Oh Yes, sorry I forgot... I have the saddle, screws and top cover but I need a "post or pillar" under it since the t.bone SC1100 does not have one (it's a one piece plastic)

Edit : I can manage something with screw and spacer (I like working on mechanical ;))

Latest posts

Back