Soliloqueen's k87(k67) and k47 capsules

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@soliloqueen Easyship is free to sign up for and I seem to be able to ship small single packages with Fedex from NYC to places as far away as Israel and Europe for like $21, it’s wild. Highly recommend using them if you need Fedex and can’t get good prices on an individual account. https://www.easyship.com/

Last edited:
@soliloqueen Easyship is free to sign up for and I seem to be able to ship small single packages with Fedex from NYC to places as far away as Israel and Europe for like $21, it’s wild. Highly recommend using them if you need Fedex and can’t get good prices on an individual account. https://www.easyship.com/
thanks! added.

Yes. They'll be binned in 3 bins like Neumann capsules, since side to side matching K47s built like this is kind of hard. $149 for u47fet, 199 for k47 and 249 for k49. The process for these is a bit more involved than the other capsules. The flat K47 is very budget-minded with a lot of part reuse, but the real K47 capsule is a genuine attempt at making a premium capsule, so it's a bit more expensive. They might also be split into bright and dark variants in QC until we can get our backplate tolerances tighter. The tolerances are already much tighter than vintage Neumann capsules, but looser than I'd like. I'm guessing most people will be buying K47s or U47fet capsules.
Just got Arienne's K49 which directly replaced the Flat47 (I am loving, and use them in FET47's with great success) in the Tube U47, and my jaw just about hit the floor during playback. I wouldn't trade anything about my tube 47 now. It's a flatter capsule than her earlier post, but so "chesty". There is a .47uf PIO for vibe and the grid resistor is 68M. Please tell me if you are hearing what I'm hearing. Dropbox link; https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/lrht...-K49.wav?rlkey=cl3yajj25t1srt8slvdt3rnk4&dl=0

Attachments

• 438158316_797243005691581_5773718266415505376_n.jpg
    438158316_797243005691581_5773718266415505376_n.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 438125083_284847361364250_8521642887877177840_n.jpg
    438125083_284847361364250_8521642887877177840_n.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 441583374_380557758303848_4807879651683133836_n.jpg
    441583374_380557758303848_4807879651683133836_n.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Just got Arienne's K49 which directly replaced the Flat47 (I am loving, and use them in FET47's with great success) and my jaw just about hit the floor when I heard the playback. I wouldn't trade anything about my tube 47 now. Moby tx, Siemans Styrene, and Arienne. I did use a .47uf PIO for vibe and my grid resistor is 68M. No wet tant. Please tell me if you are hearing what I'm hearing. Dropbox link; https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/lrht...-K49.wav?rlkey=cl3yajj25t1srt8slvdt3rnk4&dl=0
The U47 you built with the K47 Flat capsule, link:

https://groupdiy.com/threads/d47-408a-build-wow.87224/post-1144906

View attachment U47 Forum demo.wav
✨
Although the formats are different, wav/aif and the levels are also different, with the K47 Flat I hear more mid-highs/highs than with the K49

Yes, more mid highs in the Flat. The K49 seems to work perfectly in the circuit. Now, I would use very little eq, and before would cut a bit of the mid highs from the Flat.
However, although there were different recordings, with different settings, at a distance in time, in different formats, probably the microphone distance was also different, with the K47 Flat I hear some slightly richer low-mids.

However, although there were different recordings, with different settings, at a distance in time, in different formats, probably the microphone distance was also different, with the K47 Flat I hear some slightly richer low-mids.
You left out lighter compressor settings :) I did the 2nd clip fast. I think your richer low was from my Vcomp, not the capsule.

Very possible! That is why it is good to strictly observe the conditions for comparative records. Preferably don't use compression, it can cause variable behaviors.
Vcomp (vari mu) adds weight. I hadn't intended to do a comparison because I was quite happy with the Flat47, but the K49 arrived (kind of by accident) and I couldn't resist trying it which got me excited to talk about it. :)

Vcomp (vari mu) adds weight. I hadn't intended to do a comparison because I was quite happy with the Flat47, but the K49 arrived (kind of by accident) and I couldn't resist trying it which got me excited to talk about it. :)
Obvious!
No DIY enthusiast could have resisted the temptation!😀
We thank you for the samples, we can really make an objective assessment of the qualities of the Arienne capsules.
I personally like them a lot. And I think it's just the beginning, something tells me that we will have many more pleasant surprises ✨

Yes, it really does feel flat, with nothing harsh, sibilant, and I think it takes EQ and dynamic processing exceptionally well.
Some people prefer a smaller boost in the upper mids and think a larger one sounds weird. Some people think a larger one sounds normal and a smaller one sounds boring. This is a super divisive issue even with actual k47s. I ended up deciding to produce the units with a tolerance in the dimension that causes this difference a little bit tighter than vintage neumann so that none of them sound bad (like some vintage neumanns do imo) but not so tight that people with different tastes can't pick the one they prefer. You'll be able to pick whether you want a bright or dark one. With the k47 I don't think it's quite my job to tell people their opinion on which type they like is wrong. I'll stick to making sure the capsule they choose is exquisite.

Last edited:
Some people prefer a smaller boost in the upper mids and think a larger one sounds weird. Some people think a larger one sounds normal and a smaller one sounds boring. This is a super divisive issue even with actual k47s. I ended up deciding to produce the units with a tolerance in the dimension that causes this difference a little bit tighter than vintage neumann so that none of them sound bad (like some vintage neumanns do imo) but not so tight that people with different tastes can't pick the one they prefer. You'll be able to pick whether you want a bright or dark one. With the k47 I don't think it's quite my job to tell people their opinion on which type they like is wrong. I'll stick to making sure the capsule they choose is exquisite.
Wise decisions!
Everyone can opt for what they like best and what they need to use in a certain scenario.
Just the other day I was thinking that each version of the K87 v1, v1.5 or v2 sounded very good. There were probably dozens of prototypes, the differences are perhaps subtle, but it would be nice to have a U87 with each official major version.

Latest posts

Back