Sony C-80

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks interesting and the construction is great.

Attachments

• C-80-Frequency-Response-2048x870-1.jpg
    C-80-Frequency-Response-2048x870-1.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 1
If I get the chance to buy one used I will ,
Seems like its a good deal for a donor capsule , body and anti vibration mount system .

Last edited:
He doesnt seem to have any issue puddling the white material all over the PCB ,
What they use nowadays seems like some kind of acrylic sealant , a bit like wood workers caulk , as opposed to the contact adhesive of old used to hold down PSU caps etc which was difficult to remove .

He doesnt seem to have any issue puddling the white material all over the PCB ,
What they use nowadays seems like some kind of acrylic sealant , a bit like wood workers caulk , as opposed to the contact adhesive of old used to hold down PSU caps etc which was difficult to remove .
Who does?

Welll I can clearly see the white stuff on the upper pcb near the red wire ,
so I suppose Im talking about the man who makes it .

There was a problem with lots of Japanese gear over the years because the glue used to secure components to the pcb eventually absorbed moisture and became conductive , as well as being very difficult to scrape off .

Cant find any docs relating to the C-80 ,
thought I might as well post another good pic of the C-100 I found,
Sony C-100 front pcb .JPG
So it appears the C-100 comes with a diecast sub assembly ,
The C-80 looks like its abs plastic ,
From what I read the capsule is derived from the C-100 LDC , perhaps incorporating new materials and methods to shave down cost .

The schematic is a little disjointed spread across a couple of pages ,
I think I can see roughly how the C-100 works ,
with the SDC capsule getting filtered and added in with the main LDC .

I have a few of the C80's they are great everyday medium diameter cardioid mic's, I personally like them on brass, French Horns in particular. I also have some C100's different league but also different price bracket. The pencil condensers are worth a listen too. The EVM100u is quite nice on snare, lots of attack.

I have a few of the C80's they are great everyday medium diameter cardioid mic's, I personally like them on brass, French Horns in particular. I also have some C100's different league but also different price bracket. The pencil condensers are worth a listen too. The EVM100u is quite nice on snare, lots of attack.
C100’s are truly excellent all-arounders. C80 is usually better in vocals and voice-over, but works on everything.

Both have clean voicing- no Neumann midrange or C800 highs

Latest posts

Back