Sound Skulptor: Pre's, Compressors, Tape Simulator, Professionnal Audio Kits

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really interested too by feedbacks on the AB528!!
I actually own:
3 Mp512
2 Mp573
2 Mp599
1 Cp5176
1 Eq573
So happy with all.

Last edited:
@JPK @Deous

Speaking of the MP599, I found this old listing on Reverb and have a few questions.

"Go Analog! Sound Skulptor MP599 Mic PreAmp SE Special Edition w./ Zombie 5058G Germanium OpAmp"
https://reverb.com/item/35466035-go...pecial-edition-w-zombie-5058g-germanium-opamp
1. Listed as "SE Special Edition" makes it sound official; was this an actual Sound Skulptor offering, or was this person hyping a sale and possibly violating some laws?
2. What advantage would an opamp like the Zombie 5058G have over the included SK99, if any? Is it snake oil, or simply a different flavor?
3. Anyone have any/enough experience with Zombie 5058G original and/or enhanced version to be able to make a recommendation for or against either one in an MP599 (or anywhere else)?

Thanks--

Last edited:
So I’m assembling the MP573 - and should’ve went to bed, but kept working and unfortunately made a small mistake on backside PCB of the input transformer and soldered the pins on backwards. I’ve tried to unsolder it for about 20 minutes and I’m a bit concerned I won’t be able to fix my mistake. If need be, can I just superglue the PCB to the transformer and call it a day, or will there be too much heat?
My understanding from looking at it is that it’s only there to support the weight of the transformer correct?

Thanks!
Adam

So I’m assembling the MP573 - and should’ve went to bed, but kept working and unfortunately made a small mistake on backside PCB of the input transformer and soldered the pins on backwards. I’ve tried to unsolder it for about 20 minutes and I’m a bit concerned I won’t be able to fix my mistake. If need be, can I just superglue the PCB to the transformer and call it a day, or will there be too much heat?
My understanding from looking at it is that it’s only there to support the weight of the transformer correct?

Thanks!
Adam
No no no. That's an ugly fix. What tools do you have for unsoldering things? That should be an easy one since only every other hole is soldered and the PCB is single sided.

No no no. That's an ugly fix. What tools do you have for unsoldering things? That should be an easy one since only every other hole is soldered and the PCB is single sided.
Unsoldering braid. It works fine for normal components but when all of the holes are attached at the same time it’s tough to pull up the component while the solder is hot haha.

Back