Sound Skulptor: Pre's, Compressors, Tape Simulator, Professionnal Audio Kits

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RS 124 Style?
- Similar topology of the attenuation cell : Balanced dual triode between 2 transformers,
- Similar gain and time constants in the sidechain.
Of course there are also many differences because only one tube is allowed per 500 slot, for reasons of power consumption and heat.
Didn't Retro do a mic preamp with 2 tubes for the 500 series?

Wow, looks really good. Schematic is here
I didn't know you could run the tube (ECC189) with the 48v phantom supply. Thought it would need a DC-DC converter.
Nice that there is a interstage transformer -
Cool design

WiII there be any audio fiIes for the Mu comp? AIso very curious to hear some fiIes of the opto in action, both ideaIIy on acustics and vocaIs if poss. Does anyone have any?

It looks a bit like some inspiration came from the PRR-176, which was well received, so that's a good sign

Getting excited now. Random question in wrong thread: is there a DOA in the LA502 opto? I assume not, but since no side view pics on site dunno. Wouldn't mind having a peek at the guts, and what trannies are in that one.... :cool:

Ordered two vari mu comp 1 hour ago... I'm so confident about your work I'm sure I won't be disappointed!
And I also just discover your triple DI wich seems very very interesting... I'll need a third rack soon 😅

Thank for your wonderfull job @JPK

@JPK
I'm very tempted with the new varimu...
Any data available about L/R tracking accuracy in stereo/link mod ?
Also, how will the unit behave in an asym/low level context, like sidechain threshold or single ended output ?
(e.g. console insert -15dBu nominal)
Best
Zam

Hi there, just did the components check this morning on my 2 MU524 vari mu kits. Everything seems to be there, but I'm wondering something about P1,P2,P3.
They are 10K, 2K2 and 2M2 potentiometer. When I measure them I find :
P1: 8k17 and 8k85
P2: 2K3 and 2K3 (seems ok to me)
P3: 1M87 and 2M14

Is there any issue with P1 and P3 values, as solo unit, and as stereo bus comp?
I really don't know, just asking there to have some advices

Thank, and enjoy the sunny day :)

Back