Spam calls remedy?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find it hard to talk to recordings... An old friend of mine is more aggressive about suing these pukes (in small claims court). I still find switching off my land line when a robo caller is pursuing me, pretty low effort, and effective. Before I started doing this I had some pukes loading up my answering machine with messages.

JR
The problem with switching off the line is having the phone ring, check the ID and decide to switch it on or off. I can't stand phones ringing, and being interrupted to check the caller ID is a nuisance.

The problem with switching off the line is having the phone ring, check the ID and decide to switch it on or off. I can't stand phones ringing, and being interrupted to check the caller ID is a nuisance.
maybe I am not explaining clearly... when I notice a robo caller trying to get me to answer (my direct TV receiver has caller ID and displays the caller name/number on the screen) I switch off my land line for a day or so.... The phone does not ring when the robo caller tries again... in fact the robot caller thinks my line is not in service so stops trying. I have done this enough times to declare confidently that it works.

I am pretty close to just leaving my land line switched off permanently but for many old contacts (who almost never call me) that is how to get in touch with me.

JR

PS: These robo callers are insidious often spoofing a local phone number, sometimes the same organization calls displaying one name but different numbers.

maybe I am not explaining clearly... when I notice a robo caller trying to get me to answer (my direct TV receiver has caller ID and displays the caller name/number on the screen) I switch off my land line for a day or so.... The phone does not ring when the robo caller tries again... in fact the robot caller thinks my line is not in service so stops trying. I have done this enough times to declare confidently that it works.

I am pretty close to just leaving my land line switched off permanently but for many old contacts (who almost never call me) that is how to get in touch with me.

JR

PS: These robo callers are insidious often spoofing a local phone number, sometimes the same organization calls displaying one name but different numbers.
Yes, its impossible to block robo callers based on a phone number, I guess they have tons of numbers and they use them randomly, sometimes I'll get bombarded by robo callers and in a matter of minutes I will receive something like 5 calls, all of them from different numbers and with different area codes.

Yes, its impossible to block robo callers based on a phone number, I guess they have tons of numbers and they use them randomly, sometimes I'll get bombarded by robo callers and in a matter of minutes I will receive something like 5 calls, all of them from different numbers and with different area codes.
In my judgement these are all coming from a single computer, so you need to trick that one computer that your number is not active.

JR

In my judgement these are all coming from a single computer, so you need to trick that one computer that your number is not active.

JR
I have no idea how that works, do these computers have some sort of machine learning thing in which after several attempts and no answer, they will drop your number from the list? I've had the same company call me for months, my blocker automatically blocks them, but they keep calling...

JR

John,
Have you called your switched off line to see what it sounds like? In the "olden" days, if you did not have a physical phone connected, the caller would still hear a sound like it was ringing and it would not give an out of service message.

John,
Have you called your switched off line to see what it sounds like? In the "olden" days, if you did not have a physical phone connected, the caller would still hear a sound like it was ringing and it would not give an out of service message.
Indeed! In years past, among other duties for my employer, I was in charge of the company's PBX system.

We had multiple "line pairs" (pairs of copper) for inbound/outgoing calls. One annoyance was a failure of one of the many pairs connected to Ma Bell.

Ma Bell had a "hunt group" that would seek an idle pair for an incoming call. If that pair had a failure somewhere, a caller phoning in to the switchboard would hear a "ring/no answer" condition. That would totally pi$$ off the CEO or a client who would tend to blame it on the switchboard attendant!

In more modern times with T1 trunks or VOIP, I don't think that's an issue anymore. A downed T1 or VOIP link would mean to total failure of multiple possible conversations. Hmmmm....well, for inbound calls, that would result in a BUNCH of ring/no answers!

My Mom has her "landline" via Cox Cable. If something fails on that, an incoming call immediately goes to the Cox voicemail.....sorta like is she calls ME on my cell and the phone is off.

/Edit: Mom's phones consist of a pair of analog Panasonic wireless phones and an analog wired phone. They are all connected via the original copper pair running through the house that used to connect to an old Ma Bell pair from the pole. I had to chase down a copper pair failure in the house AFTER the pair connected from the Cox interface. Symptoms: ring/no answer on incoming and no dial tone for outgoing.
Bri

Last edited:
John,
You would be correct... I guess I will just enjoy not hearing it ringing in my house.

===

Here's another POTS story.... Back last century while working at Peavey my office was in a different building than main switchboard. My extension was routed over a bad pair and the calls would randomly disconnect. The caller would think that I hung up on them. I called our no nonsense switchboard operator (Sue) to report my faulty line. She asked me "if your line is bad, how are you calling me deary?". :rolleyes:

JR

Interesting it was only two people behind billions of robocalls.
===
I notice in the never ending spam attacks here, it seems like only a handful of pukes are manipulating tens to hundreds of alias accounts each (most banned now).

JR

If they know who and where they are, why are they using the telephone companies and not the courts?
The US legal system cannot enforce US law in a foreign country (like panama). The primary recourse for US justice system is to threaten US phone companies, with fines is they don't block the robo call originating in Panama.

This is not a new concept so it is unclear what is different now?

JR

They can prosecute for certain "sexual tourism" infractions occuring in other countries when the offender returns to the US from a trip. Perhaps they could also put in something that ecompasses the propogation of fraudulent or excessive phone solicitation..

Back