Spectra Sonics 110 pre with Opamp Labs 109 EQ

Help Support GroupDIY:

Whoops

GDIY Supporter
mjrippe said:
Whoops, Have you read the document by Richard Guy?  He covers all aspects of wiring SS cards as preamps.  The one I have is for the 101, but should be nearly identical.

Hi,
I was the one that published the Richard Guy doc in the past around here, it's a great doc and probably it's what I will follow in my rack up.
But has I still haven't done it I was interested to know how craigmorris74 did it because it could bring some other ideas on how to perform the rack up.

Whoops

GDIY Supporter
craigmorris74 said:
Here's a wiring diagram I whipped up.  If anyone spots any mistakes, I'll fix it.  I wired this according to what JLM and Matta posted on the "Racking Spectra Sonics 101"  thread.

Hi mate,
I would definitely not doing it that way.
I keep the 0v reference and Chassis connections separate.
To chassis I only connect Pin1, all the shields and the IEC Earth Pin.

Really good reference article on the subject:
https://www.ranecommercial.com/legacy/note151.html

Although 0V is referenced to Earth, they're not the same thing, and you should only connect 0V to Chassis at one point only, and doing that connection through a 10r restistor and 0.1uf cap is better.

PCB connects directly to 0v but at one point only. You have 2 connections from the PCB to 0v.

index.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 00.32.36.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 00.32.36.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 39

Whoops

GDIY Supporter
you have multiple connections from the circuit to the case and then to 0V, that can potentially create ground loops.

I would definitely do it this way (all cable shields not drawn on the schematic connect to case also, only on one side of the shield) :

index.php

Attachments

• spectra sonics 110-110 wiring -improved grounding.png
    spectra sonics 110-110 wiring -improved grounding.png
    63.2 KB · Views: 38