Split Input Monitoring and Impedence

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpsmusic

Hi,

I'm currently setting up a small home studio for songwriting and demos. I'd like to use split-input monitoring so I don't have to worry about any latency issues.

My initial plan was to split the output of my mic signal at my patchbay and send one ouput to my Scarlett interface for recording and another to my MG06X mixer for monitoring. I realise that phantom power is a problem with this setup so I've got an ART Phantom II Pro for that. What I'm not sure about is how this will affect impedence? Will this be a problem for the mic? Do I need a mic splitter - for example, a Whirlwind SP1X2? And what about for line-level sources?

Cheers!

In live performances, with 2 or 3 mixers feed from a single mic. You just need to be sure you  only power the phantom from a single device, choose one and stick with it. In live performances it's usually the monitoring desk as is the one closest to the stage activities and you can turn on or off as needed.
  As any mic pre that has phantom is prepared to receive the 48VDC, if you feed it from the outside is not a problem.
  You may find some strange phantom configuration that grounds the 6k8 resistors, if that happens in your set up that one is the one that needs to be turned on, as the mic will have low voltage otherwise.

JS

Back