Squirrels

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just nailed my first squirrel of this year... I found out a few weeks ago after missing way too many squirrels that the hex cap screws holding my scope onto my pellet rifle were loose (not good for aim). Last weekend I printed out a paper target and taped it to a board. I used my laser bore sight to get on the paper, then put some metal into the paper target to finish dialing it in. My shot group was not as tight as I'd like (I'm old), but the sight is dialed in good enough to drop the first squirrel I saw today with one shot. :cool:

The squirrels eat my pecans later in the season and I find that unacceptable. The first year I bought this rifle (Gamo) I nailed 4 or 5 squirrels, but nothing for the last year or two. I am now sighted in and ready for the tree rats.

JR
Hang it on top of the fireplace!

I gave him a viking funeral on my burn pile, but he isn't burned up yet... well past medium closer to well done.

JR

PS: I had a squirrel in my living room ten+ years ago and they don't behave nicely indoors. I had a squirrel trying to nest above my through wall air conditioner for the warmth leaking out there. I decided to stuff insulation around the air conditioner so there was no room for the squirrel. I mis-calculated and stuffed in the insulation while the squirrel was still in there. Then I drove into town to play basketball. When I came home a few hours later the squirrel had made his way inside my house... Since it was the middle of the winter I couldn't exactly lave doors and windows open. Corner a squirrel inside the house and they will jump right at you. === Did I mention I hate squirrels?

My dad used to shoot pigeons which made a nest in his backyard, those things are rats with wings, and their crap is radioactive....

I've been relocating ground squirrels, pack rats and skunks for the last 15 years - probably 300 squirrels, 100 rats and 3 skunks. I trap them and take them several miles away to the top of a pass where I let them go. A friend suggested I spray paint their butts before I release to make sure they're not coming back, but that would make it obvious to fish and game what is going on, and there is a $500 fine in CA for transporting animals. My property borders on CA Fish and Game land, so if I'm ever stopped I'll just say I'm working for the CA Rodent Apprehension Project (CRAP).

Last edited:
Yup pigeons are disgusting, I used to have a workspace in an old brick textile factory building (in CT) and the pigeon crap was everywhere.

==

If I trapped squirrels I would relocate them underground. They keep making new ones (baby squirrels). I only kill the ones on my property, especially feasting around my pecan trees. I can coexist with them from a distance. The reason I installed my squirrel cameras is because they will come by to eat pecans early in the morning before I am up and about, so the cameras give me an easy way to scope them out from inside.

JR

PS: Years ago a squirrel chewed a hole in the wood facing around my roof and set up housekeeping inside my attic... That did not end well for him either.

you should look up some recipes John, it's wanton waste even if protecting your crop.

got any fox recipes? my chix are getting picked off and the live trap is a long long-shot.
dogs help deter it but other critters squirrel/rabbit/mole get their attention more often

Last edited:
My neighbors tell me how good squirrel can be cooked, and it is a little surprising how heavy they are. Probably a bunch of lean meat, but when I offer to give them my dead squirrel, they say no thank you. That's enough for me to hear.

JR

Back