SSL 4000E refurb

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last time I worked on a 4000 (actually it was the somewhat similar 6K) was in 2015 and the owner had the factory extender set. IIRC, all you will need is a selection of female edge connectors to concoct a test jig. Refresh my memory with some photos....

Bri

So I went ahead and got a 4000e from reverb that was in need of repair. I have it in storage now but would start to refurbish and check all the channel strips. I have 24g 6e and 2 stereo. Is it possible to troubleshoot them without using the desk. Maybe with something like this. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1455160647...r53nnr6Sve&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Hello Jdm5149,

Normally you can't fix channels without the desk.

However there was a solution designed by SSL to " replace " the desk : SSL sold a Test Unit box with connectors to repair channels on the bench.
But it was pretty rare to meet one...

I had a client who had this tool but with my experience it was faster to fix the channels with the desk, anyway.

On the Ebay ad, the bottom pic shows a Channel Extender Board.
The six others on top are for repairing of the Central Section cards.
However it is not a complete set.... it also needs the flat cables and connectors to plug into the Motherboard of the Central Section.
Price asked for that uncomplete set is crazy expensive !

Good luck with your 4000 repair.

Best,
Guy

Latest posts

Back