SSL 9K Capacitor questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Flinn

I`m finally getting round to assembling my 9k boards that I got from Gustav. I`m trying to compile an order for the caps.

Can anyone tell me what type of caps are used where ? I would like to make this a reasonably faithful reproduction od the real thing.

I`m looking at a list I made & there are things like:

1. The 2u2 63v caps on the input with a 3.5 mm lead pitch. Are they electrolytics or plastic caps. Cos if they`re plastic I can`t seem to find any with that lead pitch.
2. what value are the caps marked Cx
3.Are C74 & C47 3p3 similar to the decoupling caps on the other 2 5534 chips.

These are just 3 questions, what is really needed is a proper parts list.

I know Keith is a busy man, & am grateful to him for giving us this great project. However, it would be useful if this project had a page similar to the ones on Jacobs site to assist with building it. Maybe we could use this thread to get a more definitive parts list together, with the help of those who have already built this project. Then one of you kind people might be able to host the information (with Keiths permission of course).

> The 2u2 63v caps on the input with a 3.5 mm lead pitch.

I don't know; but at that size I say they "have" to be electrolytics. 2μFd of 50-100V film is more like 30mm around, and would snap-off any 3mm lead spacing.

> C74 & C47 3p3 similar to the decoupling caps on the other 2 5534 chips

3pFd is a very small cap, smaller than decoupling caps. Such a value is typically Ceramic. ANd it sets the op-amp's internal gain. Don't fret that big (0.01uFd) ceramic sucks; very small ceramic is a completely different beast. Like flower-pots and fine china dinnerware. If you just hate ceramic, Silver Mica is always respectable and can be found this small (4.7pFd should work OK). Polystyrene was once common, though maybe not that small, is very hard to solder without melting/shorting, and is now very hard to find. Or you can get 3pFd by twisting two 1-inch lengths of insulated wire together.

I`m fairly sure they`re both 100nF. There is another thread where C85 is quoted as 100nF & I`m pretty sure that is what I got tols to use for the smaller foortprint C63.

Anyhow mine sound really nice with 100nF in both places.

Check this thread http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=3950&highlight=ssl9k

Hi Guys,

Just interested to know if there will be any problems using 2.2uF/100VDC Greencaps in positions C55, C68, C69 and C84?

Thanks,

Steve.

Back