SSL 9K Mic Pre

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks
I want to try it because when i use the SSL9K preamp at 8/10 i have a ground noise who is more bigger after an EQ and the compressor  (http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=51894.0) !
my idea is to isolate the audio wire of the ground and power wiring...

How do you have make you ground wiring for your ssl9k ?

thanks for your help i want to finish this project definitively :) 

G-Sun said:
Personally I'd not use a transformer.
But, if you're determined on that route, I guess either pre or post the gobetween.
But I'm no expert.
Edit: It will block phantom if pre, so I guess post is right.

Ok
EmptyMusicBox1 said:
How do you have make you ground wiring for your ssl9k ?
I don't remember exactly. Just some standard I guess. XLRpin1 to chassis.
Need to have a closer look soon though, as my ch2 is not behaving right.

Hi Folks,

Here is my project. 12 channels of ssl 9k in 3U :) I've read all discussions on this forum regarding this preamp when I started two years ago. Many thanks to all, everything I needed to know I found on groupdiy. Result is here. (sorry for my english.it is not my mother language.)

Attachments

• 20160731_165250.jpg
    20160731_165250.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 125
and next

Here is my mistake on the panel. When everything was done a decided to make all outputs balanced.

Attachments

• 20160731_165007.jpg
    20160731_165007.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 124
Looks Great. Congrats

You dont have any problems with the white molex connectors?

They dont like vibration that much, if you move the unit around a lot, you will start to have some intermittent audio failures in some channels.

Hi Whoops,

Thank you for your remark. Now I don't have any problems, but I will see in future.
Work with these connectors is horrible. I have to find something else for next project.

What would you recommend? Do you have some favorite connectors (similar princip - with lock)?

Thanks,

Those pcbs are and old design,
the best at the moment would be to use the SSL9K 500 series pcbs, much less wiring and everything will be tidy.

For the pcbs you used, I always solder the wires directly to the pcb pads because of a lot of problems with those white molex connections in the past.

Yes, these pcbs are old designed, but works perfectly. I know that the density is not good, but when I started with this project
I made only four pcbs for test. I was suprised, how it sounds so I made 8 more.

I soldered all contacts inside the connectors, if you know what I mean.  Not just pressed, but soldered.
I will see if there will be a problem.

stybljan said:
I soldered all contacts inside the connectors, if you know what I mean.  Not just pressed, but soldered.
I will see if there will be a problem.

Yes I did the same, the problem after a while is the contact between the male and the female.

stybljan said:
Here is my mistake on the panel. When everything was done a decided to make all outputs balanced.
Congratulations! Looking amazing.
Sounds wonderful, right?

Are the XLR out in use? And the line outs balanced?

Reminds me I need to troubleshoot my channel 2/2..

Lagrange said:
That looks super nice! Congrats on the finished build! :)

Thanks a lot

G-Sun said:
stybljan said:
Congratulations! Looking amazing.
Sounds wonderful, right?

Are the XLR out in use? And the line outs balanced?

Reminds me I need to troubleshoot my channel 2/2..

Yes, Sounds awesome. Yesterday I tested it with my band and I am lucky now.
Endurance test :)

All TRS jack's are balanced (connected to Balancer) and xlr  outputs 1,2,3,4 are connected to the switch on trs jack.
So when I plug in jack the xlr is disconected. it is only for safety, when somebody wanted to plug in both (jack and XLR).

My first plan was to make all outputs unbalanced (mono jack) and thirst four outputs balanced (XLR).
But as I wrote I made all outputs balanced.

Jan

Hi,guys
is there anyone  that wants to share the complete documentation for making preamps.All links on threat are dead.

Best regards

febo2609 said:
Hi,guys
is there anyone  that wants to share the complete documentation for making preamps.All links on threat are dead.

Best regards

You can find the doc here:
http://www.mentol.dk/diy/upload/DIY_9k_preamp.pdf

I advise you to read this thread and make notes on the docs as that document has never been updated

Latest posts

Back