SSL 9K Mic Pre

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="Sammas"]Perhaps a pad/48v/phase layout too?

[/quote]

I'd be interested to see this too. :cool:

could just use the +48v, pad, phase layout from keys project 2. I thought about doing it that way, but ended up only using a 48v switch. I am eventually going to add a DI input though.

I was thinking about a ssl9k plugin board... with pad, phantom, phase and HIz input... but i haven't the time to do that...

But i'm really interested in it !!!

Neeeeeeeeeeeeeno

[quote author="jeroddumas"]could just use the +48v, pad, phase layout from keys project 2. I thought about doing it that way, but ended up only using a 48v switch. I am eventually going to add a DI input though.[/quote]

Ok, I'm building 4 of these and have read a ton of the info on here. A few things still confuse me.

1. Why does the main board need +-15 and +-18v? The P/S that SSLtech created only outputs +-18v - can I just use this for the main board?

2. Is there a completed gain switch I can purchase without having to make my own, like the Grayhill switches in the Neve clones or something else?

3. How are people wiring up phase, pads and +48v phantom? An extra little board? Phase and Phantom are pretty much necessary, but is a pad?

Thanks,
Siegfried

[quote author="Siegfried Meier"]

1. Why does the main board need +-15 and +-18v? The P/S that SSLtech created only outputs +-18v - can I just use this for the main board?[/quote]

The NE5534AN need +/-18V and the TL052 needs +/-15V. Use a spare PSU PCB with 7815 and 7915 instead of 7818 and 7918. I used the JLM Audio PowerStation for this http://www.jlmaudio.com/JLM Power Supply.htm

2. Is there a completed gain switch I can purchase without having to make my own, like the Grayhill switches in the Neve clones or something else?

Not that I'm aware of.

3. How are people wiring up phase, pads and +48v phantom? An extra little board? Phase and Phantom are pretty much necessary, but is a pad?

I used the brilliant little JLM Audio Go Between Kit for this http://www.jlmaudio.com/JLMDI.htm. Pad is good to have for sensitive mics and loud sources.

Alright, those JLM go between kits look rad, and they're not that expensive at all - very reasonable.

But, are you suggesting I use the JLM powerstation AND the SSL P/S that I already have? Since I only need 15v isn't there a way to knock down the main +-18 a few volts? I'm wondering what Keith did in his original.

Thanks!
Siegfried

[quote author="Siegfried Meier"]Will I need 2 torroids then to make this work? Or can I get by with the single 18V that I have?[/quote]Siegfried, you are making this way too difficult. According to the spec sheet I have, the TL052?s max supply voltage is +/-18V. Just put a couple of diodes in series between the +/-18V and the +/-15V on the pcb (using the correct polarity of course) to drop the +/-18V down to around +/-16.5V and it should work just fine ? certainly no need for a second power supply. It?s not going to use much current, so 914s should even work.

Well, it's not exactly me making it difficult. These are just the ideas presented to me. I'm up for anything!

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm really still just learning, so I appreciate anything you can offer.

Siegfried

Ok, so if I use the original SSL 9k P/S, and take the +-18v, split it off into two legs, and drop the voltage of one down with a couple of diodes, will there still be enough current left to power 4 mic pres?

This is what I need to figure out. Otherwise, I'll just get the Powerstation because I know it'll work.

Thanks!
Siegfried

[quote author="Siegfried Meier"]Ok, so if I use the original SSL 9k P/S, and take the +-18v, split it off into two legs, and drop the voltage of one down with a couple of diodes, will there still be enough current left to power 4 mic pres?[/quote]
I would do it at each pc board. Once your board is completed, add two diodes in series from the +18V pad to the +15V pad with the cathode ends on the +15V side. Add two more diodes in series from the -18V pad to the -15V pad with the cathode ends on the -18V side. Now, when you wire up power for all 4 boards, you'll only need to run a +/-18V wires to the +/-18V pads.

Hint: I would leave the diodes unsoldered at the +/-18V pads until I inserted my wires, then solder them both at the same time.

There will not be any significant difference in current that would cause you to need a larger power supply (providing you are using large enough one to begin with).

Excellent! Thanks for the info! This is great because I already have 2 torroids and P/S boards that will work for these. Nice to use what I already have.

Siegfried

Does anyone have a BOM with Digikey or Mouser part numbers? I always have a hard time picking which caps are the correct ones for a project, and it takes me forever to order them all.

Thanks so much guys,
Sig

very nice plan flatpicker. I was thinking that there had to be a better idea than using two power supplies, but I wouldn't know what actually to do to go about it.

now all I need to do is make sure I know how to add pad/phase/48 correctly.

Does anyone know from experience if a pad is very necessary with this guy?

I mean, it wouldnt be too tough to add, but if its unnecessary I wont even bother.

Anyway, I'm going to make some little perfboards with 48v relays to handle phase and 48, and pad if its necessary. Seems like a pretty simple endeavour, at least in my head ;]

the mat02's, by the way, are taking a bit longer than expected... ups.com is unable to track the package, but I think that may just be because of the shipping from the philippines.... anyway, shouldnt be long and we can all start to see some 9k's popping up.

billy

[quote author="drpat"]Thanks for coordinating the MAT02 order![/quote]
Yes, and thanks Patrick for this diode diagram. (I didn't think about posting it like that!) :thumb:

Back