SSL-Comp: switch for dry level ????

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthias

Hi,

I'm still looking for an easy way to mix in a certain amount of dry level to the compressed signal...

due to the fact that the ssl comp doesn't have an extra gain stage for make up gain.. there's no possibility to amplify the dry signal as well somewhere in this circuit...

mixing the signal at the input directly to the output would be a good solution for me, you can set the mix value using the makeupgain pot...

yesterday I soldered the inputs and outputs together with a switch...

ssl-dry-switch.GIF

first it seemed to work very well, but when I inreased the makeupgain pot, a weird noise appears... I think it's something like a feedback...
I think the output level is higher than the input level and so the current goes from the outputs again to the inputs...

so I need a solution that the current can only go from
the input to the output, and not backwards...

Is there a simple way to do it ?? maybe with diodes??

thank you
matthias

The approach that you have used in your diagram is definately not a good one, since you are applying postive feedback using the switch, which will cause problems.

The simplest way to achieve what you want is to use a mixing desk to blend the original & compressed signals. Other than that you will need some sort of external buffer/mixer circuit so that your dry signal path does not become a feedback loop.

yes jakob, I tried this already, but this solution is very uncomfortable, because it changes the dry/wet setting on both pots... if you increase the makeupgain, your setting on the dry/wet pot is also changed...

mat

would it be possible to install a second pair of output xlrs that are connected directly to the inputs??
so I can grab the original signal (like a direct out ) and lead it
back to 2 channels on my mixer ??
or will this maybe decrease the volume of the signal that goes into the compressor??

mat

if this buffers it, yes.
Still i would go for 2 more channels in a mixer. Often when wanting to use the paralelled comp/dry technique i still want to eq just a little to make it fit or to ad impact in the lows. The mixchannels come in very handy then.

Don't try to reinvent the wheel :grin:
my 0,02 ?

Good luck,

Tony

Back