SSL - Iceblue * another HPGL Schaefferpanel

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
adobe photoshop cs?

Steffen
do you do the engraving yourself

or do you look for out-sources?

either which way what or who do you use?

the black finished looks fantastic!

:thumb:

Okay, maybe I'm just stupid but I tried what you said about offsetting in Illustrator and I got the same result as before...just outlined. Can you be a bit more detailed in your procedure??

Got it!! Figured it out after a little playing around. Haven't found the feature in Corel yet, only illustrator.

I'll share my fpd file if you want but it's pretty much the same as Frank's layout...only modded a little.

Hey Steffen

This box is absolutely wonderfull as all your projects.
Although this time I was not as happy as other times when I see your projects. :sad: Why?
Imagine this: After a very long time I decide to make the SSL comp and have a great plan. Make one that is like the classic 1U rack with the Sifam meter and the original circuit, and make a second, a more distinct one, 2U rack a nice large KYORITSU KP110 meter from the Elfa catalog, placed at the left side of the front panel, use those great bakelite knobs from OKW that I use in all my projects, and some diferent electronics [transformer in, improved PSU, sidechain input].
When I saw your box my jaw droped not just because it looks nice but because it looks very close to my 2U project. Ok the front panel colour is diferent, lettering is diferent, the power and bypass switch and LED are diferent, but when I will show pictures of mine, anyone from the forum will think that it is a copy of yours. :sad:
How could you do this to me? :cry:
:green: :green: :green:

chrissugar

P.S. Another great meter for those interested in something similar to Jakobs G10 circular meter, you can find a very nice one in the Elfa catalog: KYORITSU K-80SF
BEAUTIFULL

[quote author="Ian MacGregor"]Anyone know of a way to do this with CorelDraw?Ian[/quote]

Hi Ian.
I'd done my calrec panel with hpgl. But it wasn't cheap. Okay the number of engraved objects is maybe 400% more or so.

There is a tutorial how to create hpgl scales in corel... it's only in german language... Michael Krusch translated the text
look here: http://www.nrgrecording.de/html/schaeffer.html
(bottom of the page)

But i've got problems with corel. Don't know whats wrong. Maybe iam stupid or the program has an error.
You have to make a second contour to the inside (because the drill is bigger... so the line where the drill moves along has to be a bit to the inside of the engraving, otherwise the engraving will be bigger)
The distance is the half of the drill width. (if you have a 0,2mm drill so it is 0,1mm)
http://www.nrgrecording.de/assets/images/HPGL2.jpg

Then you have to remove the outer line (break apart...)
http://www.nrgrecording.de/assets/images/HPGL3.jpg

If the engraving should be filled you have to add more lines where the drill has to drive along. (contour to the inside) distance: 0,7mm (look at the chart of schaeffer)

After import to frontpanelexpress the filled areas should look filled. If the engraving looks okay and is filled out completely when full zooming. (what you see is what you get)
http://www.nrgrecording.de/assets/images/HPGL5.jpg

The problems: :evil:

Sometimes corel do strange fillings and i don't know why :?:
http://www.nrgrecording.de/assets/images/HPGL6.jpg

The strange thing is... if i'll fill the letters some parts are NOT filled.
I point out that the filling works from the middle of the screen area to the top.. but don't work from the middle to the upper are...
:cry: :cry: :cry:

http://www.nrgrecording.de/assets/images/corel_problem.jpg

I have to check this with other corel versions.

If someone has a tip about that... would be nice to know. I would like to do a tutorial with pics... so anyone could benefit of the informations. :wink:

So after experimenting a little it would seem celebration was a bit premature. I've done the filling paths for my panel but now the price has gone from $51 to over $100 :shock: I'm guessing that's the result of all the added tool paths which = more time on the machine which = money $ I'm gonna play around with different fonts. Hopefully a simpler single line type will reduce the costs. So far, the easiest and less expensive solution is to go with the front panel software. Hpgl is great to import logos and scales or any unusual things that you can't draw in front panel.

Thanks for the tips in Corel Frank. As for your questions, I wish I could help you but I haven't used Corel in a long time so I'm learning it all over again.

Hey tommy,
I made a test panel with the same number of objects like steffens panel but directly in corel and the price was much higher than 25 euro.

Another idea is to use different drill widths. That could be cheaper.
A bigger one for bigger areas and a smaller one for fine areas.

Frank.

When I calculate it, $25 Euro is pretty much what it costs me in USD for the same type panel.

See, this is why I want my own engraving machine!!!! :green: :green:

Yeah. I need that thing too! :green:
There were 4sec and 200€ between me and a cnc at ebay some time ago :wink:

CNC@home is cool but silk screening costs about 5€/panel at 10panels.
I'd a panel made by a friends university, did the drilling myself.
CNC has its limitations, silk screening is more flexible i think. So coloured areas
with another coloured text is impossible with a cnc. But iam a cnc fan since i'd
seen Jakobs panels the first time, and i'll always need an automated drilling machine. :wink:

181-8165_IMG.jpg

btw. ...the price (25 euro) is for engraving only....the panel itself costs extra. I always send them the panels which come with the boxes...

steff

@ steff: I think you still use the panels from speakon??
are you satisfied with the quality of the anodized panels??

I orded some black ones a few months ago and
nearly all had some ugly marks from the anodizing process...

[quote author="nrgrecording"]Yeah. I need that thing too! :green:
There were 4sec and 200? between me and a cnc at ebay some time ago :wink:

CNC@home is cool but silk screening costs about 5?/panel at 10panels.
I'd a panel made by a friends university, did the drilling myself.
CNC has its limitations, silk screening is more flexible i think. So coloured areas
with another coloured text is impossible with a cnc. But iam a cnc fan since i'd
seen Jakobs panels the first time, and i'll always need an automated drilling machine. :wink:

181-8165_IMG.jpg
[/quote]

Hey Frank !!!
What kind of DIY is it ???
It seems to be something like a SSL Channel Strip... is it true ???

[quote author="matthias"]@ steff: I think you still use the panels from speakon??
are you satisfied with the quality of the anodized panels??

I orded some black ones a few months ago and
nearly all had some ugly marks from the anodizing process...[/quote]

the 2RU panels I ordered are fine...the 3RU ...ehhm...yes...some looked scheisse

Hi Neeno.
I've got some 20 year old channels from a console (I posted some pics in the old forum i think). They're stuffed with preh pots... working still great . (with a little work)
I think I'll never find a console to put them in... so I decided to make channelstrips of them which is actually very easy... but the schematics are old and wrong. I also have to rewire all pots (100 wires or more). I don't have time and don't want to do this at the moment. :wink: (Iam working on a new homestudio and a new diyroom)
In the meantime my desk looks close to my workshop. (maybe some guys remember those pictures) :green:
The cool thing with the ssl is... that every part (compressor/Gate, eq, mic preamp) is on a 160x100 pcb (but double sided) and the company don't exists since many years. I read the JLM990c thread and found that it maybe isn't a nice idea to publish pcb files of reverse engineered gear which is still in production. :roll: I must confess that i like to rev.eng. I always learn more things with that. :wink:
Regarding the ssl... without having the pots i would never start diying a complete ssl channelstrip i think. The rms detector isn't also cheap.

Frank.

@Steffen,

You said the knobs are from mentor.
I mailed them but no reply. Am i able (as a hobbyist) to buy knobs from them? Or are only companies allowed?

[quote author="matthias"]just search for "mentor" !![/quote]
ok ok sory man. I looked on conrad.de and its ok.
I hope they ship to the netherlands. Since we must use conrad.nl

edit,

i can order in netherlands. They only do not have the product listed.

Back