SSL pix

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Michael,

congratulations. It looks at bit like my fpd ? :green: Very good job.

I like the SSL on all kind of drums. It´s more than useful and the Auto function works very well.

cheers

Steffen, may you try UV or orange backlight for your next project. :green:

Very nice dude! You should try it with some 1:1 trafos at the input. It changes in a cool way. Both my units have this because I did not like the sound of transformerless. Sounds more like the original IMO with the trafos than without.

Good work! :guinness: :sam:

tommy,

what transformer did you use or recommand for the ssl ?

and why on the input and not on the output or both ?

Tommy, how did you wire in the transformer, and did you have to remove parts for that?

Michael -

Nice Work !!!

I took a look at your higher resolution images, and it looks like your missing a cap in the right VCA substitute circuit. I think it's a 100n ?!?

All I did was put a 1:1 trafo from the input xlr then out to the in of the ssl pcb. Very simple. I put it at the input because the output stage of the compressor was not designed to drive a transformer. Since I wanted iron in the signal path, it was easier to place them at the input than redesigning or mod the output stage.

I have 1 unit using some Hammond 8xx series and the other using BBC LL/88ASC. The Hammonds are really big and have a different tone than the smaller BBC iron. Both different but very cool. You should try it out because for me, it really improved the sound for whatever reason and makes it a lot closer (the BBC one actually sounded better) to the original. I did some a/b testing with the FXG and my clones.

Beautiful unit!
I also used blue led's for a couple of units that I built for friends!

Michael! where did you get the meter?

michael-

I agree with you in that its not the most exciting sounding compressor ever designed. It really shines as a buss limiter though, it provides a glue to rhythm sections that is pretty unique to itself. Try to reserve your opinion about it until 6 months after you do a mix with it, mix one song with it and one day you'll likely wake up and listen to that tune and wonder why it rocks so much. You'll scratch your head and remember that you used that limiter on the drums and bass and then you'll get it... Thats at least my relationship with that box.

It would be really cool to someday build a version with all discrete input and output amplifiers, keep the sidechain the same, use transformers on the in and out, I think then you can get some really exciting aggressive color out of it, that would be a pretty worthy project to undertake, I wish I was smart enough to figure out how...

dave

I'm not allowed to say from where i get this meter. :grin:
Frank, what a terrible mistake, I will throw this box away and biuld another one with the right scale. :shock:
But the SSL outboard unit has a -5 to +15db scale.

-5dB to +15dB scale is right for the G384
but Jakobs Layout cames from a original ssl DESK i think...

And the make up gain on the desk begins at 0dB, 7,5dB in the middle, 15dB at the and of the scale.
I'd seen this scale at another DIY SSL... :wink:
I'd checked the gain with a meter...

Cheer up! My ssl comps have the same scale.
Would someone like to buy 3 SSL compressors from me? :green: :roll:

Back