Static electricity

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G-Sun

Hello!

I keep getting static electricity shock in my home studio.
From most of my equipment.

Should I worry?

Static discharges can damage semiconductors.

Modern ICs have gotten better at protecting I/O pins, but why tempt fate?

There are anti-static sprays for carpeting..

JR

JohnRoberts said:

Absolutely no one has full floor carpeting in the entire scandinavia. That's a UK/US issue only.

But there are plastic floors of all kinds. This combined with plastic shoes and general plastics everywhere is a likely issue.

Matt Nolan said:
Try different shoes / clothes / chair
Kingston said:
JohnRoberts said:

Absolutely no one has full floor carpeting in the entire scandinavia. That's a UK/US issue only.

But there are plastic floors of all kinds. This combined with plastic shoes and general plastics everywhere is a likely issue.
Hehe, right. In UK I even found carpets in toilets.. Not here :)

Yes, it's likely a floor/shoo combination.
I have laminate flooring and skinn-slippers.
Yet, it's not been that a problem before.

I'll try another pair of slippers.

Offtopic but...

G-Sun said:
Hehe, right. In UK I even found carpets in toilets..

In the UK I used to live in a house with a bathtub on full floor carpet. And there was another room with a hot tub on a full floor carpet. It has baffled me forever. I have great difficulty figuring out what the contractor was thinking.

The literal translation of 'home' to Finnish is mould. In other words "Mould! Sweet mould!".  ;D

Humidity is a factor to consider. The dryer the air, the greater the charge builds before discharge.  In ESD safe labs, the humidity is strictly maintained, I think is was 63% where I used to work.

Change your slippers.

Raise the humidity.

Hope for early Spring.

Did pasta-testing today. Boiling a pot of spaghetti raised my indoor relative humidity from 30% to 31%, but 6 hours later it was 30% again. A medium size house, heated in winter, may need a large pot of water boiling constantly to really get humidity up. 

Thanks!
Yes, I'll pay attention to humidity.

abbey road d enfer said:
Kingston said:
Absolutely no one has full floor carpeting in the entire scandinavia.
Is it a government regulation?  ;)
It was a sort of fashion here as well, in the 70's or so.
Then, realising how much dirt and what-not could go into a carpet,
and how difficult it is to clean, it was removed from most houses.
I guess the insulation needs here plays a role as well, as it amplifies any problems with carpets and allergies.

The sheer idea of a toilet-carpet makes me twinge inside  :)

G-Sun said:
Thanks!
Yes, I'll pay attention to humidity.

abbey road d enfer said:
Kingston said:
I guess the insulation needs here plays a role as well, as it amplifies any problems with carpets and allergies.

My house "had" both a carpeted kitchen and bathroom  ::)... I had the kitchen floor replaced with vinyl 20 years ago, and recently tore out the (nasty) bathroom carpet and replaced it with a wood floor.

Recently in an effort to get my remaining carpets clean, I literally broke the handle off my old carpet shampooer, from cleaning too hard.  8)  I replaced it with a new improved model (big green).
158398127966c

I rarely endorse commercial products but this thing really "sucks"..... up the dirt. Not cheap, but sucks very noticeably better than my old machine.

======
Re: static, Since living in MS for a few decades I can only remember what static felt like. I manage humidity in my home to keep mold at bay (did I mention I live in MS?).  I would love to be dry enough to take a static shock, but haven't got there yet even with de-humidifiers running.

I do remember my old office in a factory building up outside of Hartford, CT,  many years ago, where the shop vacuum we cleaned with, was a portable van de graf generator, causing very painful shocks after using it.  :eek: I ended up attaching a several Megohm resistor to the ground screw of my light switch so I could painlessly discharge myself after using the vacuum.

JR

> attaching a several Megohm resistor to the ground screw of my light switch so I could painlessly discharge myself

Friend worked around metal cabinets on nylon carpet in over-dry air (historical records archive).

I made her a "ring" with a 1Meg resistor, so she could touch the cabinet with the resistor to discharge.

PRR said:
> attaching a several Megohm resistor to the ground screw of my light switch so I could painlessly discharge myself

Friend worked around metal cabinets on nylon carpet in over-dry air (historical records archive).

I made her a "ring" with a 1Meg resistor, so she could touch the cabinet with the resistor to discharge.

Team up with a talented jewelry designer and you have a definite business in 'static discharge rings'. No kidding.

G-Sun said:
abbey road d enfer said:
Kingston said:

This happened also here in Portugal, and I guess most of Europe.
Carpeted houses were really bad for your health.
I dont think I entered any house in Portugal with carpets since the 80s.

I was amazed in 2010 when I visited the US for the first time that there were carpets everywhere, Hotels, Malls, even the Airports.

Whoops said:
G-Sun said:
abbey road d enfer said:
Kingston said:

This happened also here in Portugal, and I guess most of Europe.
Carpeted houses were really bad for your health.
I dont think I entered any house in Portugal with carpets since the 80s.

I was amazed in 2010 when I visited the US for the first that there were carpets everywhere, Hotels, Malls, even the Airports.
  Funny how someone's evidences are another's errings...
I've lived in carpeted houses since 1976, and I couldn't imagine differently.
I also share a flat with my companion, there is no carpet there, because she wants to enjoy the wooden floor. I'm unhappy with the resulting sonic character of the rooms; it ruins the pleasure of listening to music and I have a hard time watching TV, being so used to a smooth listening environment.
Now if I had allergies I may have to accept the consequences and adapt, but I don't think there are so many people with allergies. After all carpets can be cleaned and disinfected; they need care just like any flooring material. It's a little harder but the softness to bare feet and the cosyness are worth it for me...

abbey road d enfer said:
Kingston said:

It probably is. I built a porch 25 m2, and took out a hole through the wall for a big door last summer. Town hall administraion has regulations  that gives east block connotations concerning all kinds of things you do to your own (i.e the banks) property. The applicationprocess to get going took six months and my money.

Carpet on top of particle board is probably cheaper (labor and materials) than good hardwood flooring.

I like my carpet, even better since I upgraded my carpet shampooer.

JR

Ask anyone with carpets if they dare to inspect the floor in close proximity - or ever. And if they do what are the first things that come in mind.

That's the dead give away.

Kingston said:
Ask anyone with carpets if they dare to inspect the floor in close proximity - or ever. And if they do what are the first things that come in mind.

That's the dead give away.
Then what's the issue? In everyday life, only my feet are in contact with the carpet. 
Hygiene? I don't know of anybody proceeding to surgical operations on the floor, carpetted or not.
Acarians? They're everywhere, in your bed, in your clothes, on furniture...

Back