Stereo Valve/Tube Mic

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Migs 31

I know ... it’s just a rip-off of an old old so so design from Austria. (C-24)
But it’s alive, two PCB’s with a 12AY7 sandwiched in. Will change capsules & valve once all the debugging done.
Top capsule rotates 90 degrees.

M

Attachments

• FD6599AA-A96E-4511-B6F2-9DEAC0D4C592.jpeg
    FD6599AA-A96E-4511-B6F2-9DEAC0D4C592.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • F407CC29-1CD8-4754-91BB-2B0950097F99.jpeg
    F407CC29-1CD8-4754-91BB-2B0950097F99.jpeg
    457.8 KB · Views: 0
Bit of a problem here.
The top capsule (back-diaphragm) receives Bias voltage through an SPDT Switch and a 200 MG resistor. Front Diaphragm gets 0V - Backplate ~ 60V.

Even when no audio cable is plugged-but with HT & Heaters on, I hear an electrical scratching noise coming from the diaphragm, from time to time ? Just from top capsule, not bottom one !?! 🤨

What is going on here ???
M

Attachments

• 12EAFE9C-6ADF-47D5-AE08-917A0BD8245D.jpeg
    12EAFE9C-6ADF-47D5-AE08-917A0BD8245D.jpeg
    772 KB · Views: 1
This got me to thinking. Is a stereo tube mic a good idea?

I assume that the tube is so that you get nonlinearity and some kind of nice-sounding distortion.

But if the stereo signal is asymmetrical (which it probably is, at least a little, or you wouldn't need stereo) the two amps are going to distort differently, maybe very differently when the signal is very asymmetrical. I'd think that'd mess with stereo imaging.

Would a mid-side tube mic make more sense, with distortion mostly on the mid signal?

Having used stereo tube mics for years, in my experience the concerns you express haven't dissuaded me from using them in X/Y or M/S. I think M/S is more flexible as a technique but the sound has been good either way.

This got me to thinking. Is a stereo tube mic a good idea?
Yes I get your point.
And for some ultra clean Stereo applications i would go for my Schoeps in an ORTF or NOS config.

But as @Barry Hufker said, it never stopped him & many more to use valve/tube mics in a Stereo application.

Well, look at Orchestra people using M50´s in a Stereo or Decca Tree pattern and the results they usually get. I mean, wow!

Thé AKG C-24, I heard one last time in Tampere Jazz Festival, Finland on a Grand Piano. And Ouch! What a combo!!!

Im trying to get the pattern switch working correctly on my prototype, so I can use it either in X-Y, MS or maybe Blumlein. Then i’ll get good decent capsules on it when done.

M

Last edited:
It's way down on the project list, but I would LOVE a DIY project that is akin to either a C24 or Neumann SM2. I have rarely heard a better sounding mic(s) for drums front of kit, and so accurately defined stereo image (usually Blumlein or M/S)

It's way down on the project list, but I would LOVE a DIY project that is akin to either a C24 or Neumann SM2. I have rarely heard a better sounding mic(s) for drums front of kit, and so accurately defined stereo image (usually Blumlein or M/S)
Oh ok, really?
On a drum kit, I have tried Coles & others as spaced Stereo pair, before.
And yes, M/S is a useful technique for various reasons.
Now I can’t wait to try that, once my mic is working properly.
M

Latest posts

Back