Stuck in customs

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Consul

I bought a cheap condenser microphone and stand from an importer in Hong Kong, it was sent on the 1st, it arrived at Chicago on the 4th, and has been stuck in customs since then. I called the USPS yesterday and they were able to confirm that it has yet to be released as of then.

Is this normal? Should I be worried about never receiving it? If so, how do I go about getting my money back, or is that possible?

It wasn't a huge sum ($43 or somewhere around there), but it still annoys me.

In case anyone's curious, I got this mic only for the "bones." I bought a decent capsule and was going to mod the circuit.

I feel your pain. However it could be worse, there have always been stories of buying mics over seas that arrive in pieces due to customs taking them apart for look. Not sure what they looking for but who knows. Maybe they using the mic to make an album?

Well, it was going to be coming apart anyway, but what I don't want is for it to be destroyed to an unusable state.

I guess I have to wait and see. But that's the thing: how long do I wait before raising a stink, and just who do I raise it to, anyway?

Maybe they thought the tube of the mic could be a pipe bomb.
I had 12 clay bars sent from China in a mailing envelope without any trouble.
Lucky they didn't think they were plastic explosives.

Seems weird that they'd stop a single microphone, when full railcars of product get through by the thousands every day, I suspect with very little scrutiny.

For what it's worth (no help to you now, I know,) but Musicians Friend now sells oriental microphone bodies with grille and XLR connector for $50 with free shipping.

Good luck. Let us know how long it takes, just out of curiosity.

@kato: Yeah, I kinda wish I had thought of that now. :( Well, we'll have to see what happens. I might yet be buying one of those and eating the cash. I don't know what else to do. I won't get my money back from the company I bought it from. I definitely won't get it back from the government.

Money between the US and hong kong only seems to travel one way. I doubt they know how to process a "refund." :)

But USPS seems pretty reliable. They've gotta do something with it eventually, right?

Good news! I just checked the tracking number again and it's finally made it to Pontiac, Michigan sorting facility. I'll probably get it on Monday, hopefully intact.

Well, I finally got my mic, and...

It's a complete glued-together piece of sh*t. It even uses a single AA battery for power. Nothing unscrews except for the headbasket assembly, so you can insert the battery. I've already destroyed the body and finish just trying to get it apart.

A complete and total waste of money for my purposes. And that pisses me off a lot more than customs.

No feedback for them.

Well, I still have my V67 with the noise problem. I didn't want to cannibalize it for the body, but I may as well at this point.

Okay, I feel I need to point out now that John's probably replying to a comment of mine that I deleted just before I saw his post.

I'm still feeling frustrated at the moment, and I don't want to risk lashing out at anyone.

Back