Studer 963 refurb

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmuller0420

I have acquired a new project to work on....and wanted to start a thread on my progress and ask advice for any issues I run into along the way.

I was able to track down a large frame Studer 963 that was pulled from a broadcast facility and has been in storage for a few years (pulled working, but unsure of how things will be when fired up).  In the course of locating this console, I also came into another 24ch console worth of modules (frame was disposed of, but more input modules, as well as, a second set of master section modules) which I am sure will be very handy for parts, spares etc.

The console is a 48ch frame and is setup for 32 channels.  The third bay for modules contains a PCB, but no connectors for mounting modules in...which was interesting.

The plan is to start from square one and fully unload the console, start with the power supply and master section and work my way through, seeing what issues I run into.

The console is also equipped with some odd outboard Comps/EQ's from studer...these are around the size of a 500 series module:

Studer Comp/Limiter/Gate  part # 1.913.155.00

Studer 4-band EQ  with HP/LP filters part # 1.913.153.00

All of the cabling was pulled with the console, but the patchbays were not kept....so one of the next decisions is how to wire this up.  The cable looms are around 20' in length - so do I wire into patch bays, wire to a custom I/O panel, or look at chopping down the loom and building some custom I/O plates and mounting to the rear of the console...

I have a few pics to add to help show what I am up against...

Attachments

• IMG_3151.JPG
    IMG_3151.JPG
    526.8 KB · Views: 62
pucho812 said:
The eq does not appear to be there... And i can't locate it in any other sub directory. Perhaps an e-mail to harmon is in order...

Schematic -> the 900 series mono input channel.

That's interesting - this is not the standard-frame for 963-desks. These uesed to have the armrest directly under the faders. But anyway every 963 was custom-bulit, so why not  a different frame.

So I have been contemplating how to set this console up....I also have another 963 console worth of modules I have acquired (anyone need any parts let me know).  The chassis was scrapped before I got them...

The large 963 has an empty third bay (12ch bay) and have taken a look this evening and it is able to be fully disconnected without compromising the remainder of the console.  My question is...to make a small sidecar 10x2 mixer (maybe for remote use or something along those lines..maybe fund part of the remainder projects I have on the go) or to fully load the console up with another 12 channels.

The console is already more than I would need...any things that I should consider before getting to deep into this....I think it would make for an interesting project....there would be enough room to incorporate a L/R VU meter pair and load the remainder of the bridge with the comp & eq modules for a pretty cool custom mixer!

I've recently got a couple of 1.913.153.00 modules too, and unfortunately very bad schematics!
Right now I'm trying to re-draw it by using both the original bad ones, plus the schematics from a Studer 900 manual (referring to 1.912.222 input modules).

Does anyone have the original 1.913.153 pdf?

Thanks a lot.

HI !
I just bought 3 of those EQ modules. Did you find the schematics or at least pin out information ?
thanks
Manu

Hi Manu,
excellent choice!
Here's pinout.
Electrical diagrams almost impossible to find, I have it but in a very low resolution, able to send it (hope) in a couple of days.

Anyway it's a pretty identical to the schematics you can find on all 900 series, obviously you would have sections missing and others instead there in your modules, and to what I remember, everything you find in the console module schematics, fed by the -24 V (such as relays, LEDs, other ICs) in your modules is managed using -6 V.

Hope it helps,
rgds.
ƒB~

Attachments

• 963_pinout.jpg
    963_pinout.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1
Back