Succesful SSL Clone: Some Observations

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bzardeley

Hey all,
I just wanted to thank everybody involved in this community! My first SSL clone was a resounding success, dead quiet, made with spare 202C's I had lying around from an old MCI console, then swapped out for 2151's which I now prefer. Not that the 202's were bad, just different.

I had a chance to A-B it with the SSL4000E/G console we have here at my studio, and I have to say the sound was really similar. If anything I think I may prefer the sound of the Clone to the original. The clone will allow me to do SSL-style compression in our Trident 80 room, freeing up our Neve 33609/J to do it's unique brand of evil on the drum bus. I think I'm gonna be a very happy camper with that arrangement!

The only disappointment I do want to point out is the Modutec edge meter I chose (you know, the cheapo one from Mouser), just doesn't dance like a Farnell, no matter what resistor I put in there. Shame on me, I didn't realise I'd miss the Farnell's unique but useable ballistics until the faceplate had already been cut for the Modutec! So if you're used to mixing on an SSL and you build this project, I strongly suggest you consider spending the extra $$$ on the Farnell, it's worth it.

Again, thanks to everyone who posts on this forum. Every post, whether good news or bad, helped me navigate my way through the project. I frankly would have been screwed without all the great advice. Cheers-

If you use the GSSL for tons of compression, this wont matter much, but if you are using it on your mix buss and only want to see 1/2dB of limiting from the thing, I would reccomend spending the cash on the very expensive sifam which is ultra sensitive at the bottom of its throw and does an excellent job of twitching where other meters just sit there, really very accurate. I put one in mine and while it cost nearly as much as the rest of the parts of the box combined, Ive found it makes the box way more usable, especially if you are accostomed to looking at a 33609 on your mix buss, same meter, same action. Meter distributor was able to special order these in the US, price was around $100.

dave

Soundguy,
You're absolutely right- I meant the Sifam unit, available from Farnell. And yeah, whether it's the SSL console or the Neve comp on the mix bus, I just want to see the Sifam jitter to the right a bit on snare hits or tom fills, you get the idea. Drum buss compression's a whole different story...
Anyway I just wanted to put it out there that if you're used to the Sifam ballistics, the Moduttec unit probably isn't for you. Cheers to all-

Is it not so that a 1mA meter is more sensitive then say a 100uA meter due to it's more powerfull coil?

I have a Sifam Director 14 PPM (1mA) meter on my first SSL clone and that's very fast, you realy see it when you change from .1 to .3 release time settings.
I also have made a 2 unit SSL clone for which I used a Sifam 22AF (I think it's the clearity range) meter from 100uA and it react's not as fast as the other, 1mA one.

Does the SSL call for only these type of meter or can it use a regular VU type? I don't mind changing the look of the unit.

Jim

I agree with everyone here... if you want a meter that will show 1/2dB to 1dB compression, that Modutec will not do the job. I got my hands on a pair of old Weston 100uA that are awesome.

You are right, I forgot the meter is for DB of attenuation right?

I'm really a meter dummy. I would just like to know enough to be able to find an alternative to the Farnell one. I would rather have a larger one.

What does one look for in a meter that will do well in this design?
Electrical specs rather than physical ones.

Jim

[quote author="Bluzzi"]You are right, I forgot the meter is for DB of attenuation right?

I'm really a meter dummy. I would just like to know enough to be able to find an alternative to the Farnell one. I would rather have a larger one.

What does one look for in a meter that will do well in this design?
Electrical specs rather than physical ones.

Jim[/quote]

I used one of the larger Modultecs from Mouser and it just fists a 1U case. It's probably not as sensitive as the Sifam meters, but a good workaround for low compression metering would be to install a meter range switch (i.e, switch the meter to show 0-2 dB atten.).

-Chris

OK, so it seems the Sifam is NOT lighted, thanks Soundguy!

Next, any DC 1ma meter should do, correct? Is there anything wrong with this one?

Simpson%20Century.gif

Simpson Century DC Milliameters
Model 2121
Range 0-1
Resistance: 43 ohms
$66 US

Also, what does this mean?
"1½ inch DC ammeters are self-contained thru 10 amps. 15 amps and
higher are supplied as 50 mV meters to be used with external shunts."

As always, thanks for any info guys.
Bobby

P.S. I need four of these that's why even $40 less per meter is attractive right now over the Sifam at $100+ US per. There is one cheaper at MeterDistributor by Brighton for $45 US but this thread is making me think the best one I can afford is the way to go.

The 1 1/2 inch is probably either the scale width or the mounting hole dim. Those meters probably have a current shunt in them, which is a low resistance-high wattage piece of wire which drops the heavy current down to a low level signal used to actually drive the meter. So it mught just chew up whatever signal you are feeding it into nothing.

And the ballistics are likely to be sluggish compared to a real VU meter.
Have you tried ebay? I have scored some real deals on great VU meters. Once in a whils somebody will hack up a console and part it out. Scored two MCI vu's for 15 bucks one time. Cant beat the old Westons for the vintage look, and they work great if you can fit them in the rack.

cj

yes, do a search for sifam on ebay, I just got a pair of sifam 22af meters today (with driver cards which I won't be needing) for a reasonable price and as I have seen, there are more of that kind around. Currently, I have a sifam AL29 VU hooked up, which works fine as well, but I'd like to use that for an 1176 project.

radiance, could you tell me how you hooked up the 22af for the SSL you built, what resistor values are you using? Is there an illumination kit available for that model?

Latest posts

Back