summing resistors on groups?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daArry

Hey

Just wondering - i'm having some groups on the mixer i'm planning (still!) would i place summing resistors on each chan like with the main L/R bus?

groups-coo.jpg

that correct?

thanks!

A mixer is a mixer. It doesn't know or care if it is mixing groups or main output.

However if this is a passive mixer, with the switch there, then as you put more or fewer inputs on one group, the mix-loss and level will change. To keep loss constant, unused mix resistors should be grounded (actually, grounded through a resistor similar to the pan-pot impedance). That won't be a standard switch.

You are running into the reason all non-simple mixers end up Active Mixing.

Hey PRR

Yes, this is an active line mixer...

However if this is a passive mixer, with the switch there, then as you put more or fewer inputs on one group, the mix-loss and level will change. To keep loss constant, unused mix resistors should be grounded (actually, grounded through a resistor similar to the pan-pot impedance). That won't be a standard switch.

Still good to know! So, as I have the group selecter switch on the ckt above it's okay? I guess I was wondering if the values i'd use would be the same as that on the L/R bus...

Soz to seem mundane with the q's sometimes but frankly I dun give a shite - cos it's worth looking like a tit when u end up with the next level gear places like this enable self tought dabblers like i to create...

cheers

where'd i lose ya dave? :p

since you've stepped in tho - workin out the resistor values for the panpot, and from what i've seen there seems a big dif in selected values amongst a few designs...in your buttamxr.gif and genpurposemxr.pdf its 24K with a 10k lin pot. In the mixer project at the ESP site theyve got a 3K6 with a 10k lin pot. And in a fossel doc (8chsum_1.pdf) there's a 15K used...

What's the apple me ol china?

:thumb:

Orban, Robert. Notes on panpots. Journal of AES, Volume 19 Number 11 pp. 935-939; December 1971

It's a tradeoff between input impedance and signal loss. Orban's paper gives the formulas to allow you to pick your tradeoffs and optimize your values for a correct constant-power panning law. I'm afraid I can't post the paper because it's copyrighted by the AES and, as I'm a member, I don't want to annoy them. :wink:

well, i'll just wing it then...

just tried a few values, from 3k6 to 27k...guess u settled for 24k as it's as decent as it can get with a single 10k pot. I have noticed hpwever that when panned hard left or right theres still a slight low distorted signal still remaining on the opposing chan - this most likely down to crappy pots?

You'll never get 100% attenuation in the opposite channel with this arrangement. Using the higher-valued series resistors, as I did, does get you closer. I wouldn't judge the pots too harshly because ALL pots have some end-of-track resistance.

Reconsider your grounding arrangements carefully and you can probably improve it further. Poor ground bussing can degrade your isolation by many decibels.

Reconsider your grounding arrangements carefully and you can probably improve it further. Poor ground bussing can degrade your isolation by many decibels.

Well i've just been testing with a single channel module on the bench - psu's, xlrs, veras, cups etc everywhere and there's no audible hum, hiss or noise... i guess once I've done a proper psu (just using a mickey mouse one atm to test) and sorted out a chassise layout etc all should be good (easy said)...still, here's a PDF of the trackside and overlay of the module thingy I done, the upper pcb flips over (so copper side up) the one underneath and the 2 and joined together with 30mm spacers - these will be stackable...

http://notapplicable.co.uk/audiolab/sumix/SumMIXER-INA.pdf

I ran this into a JFP for makeup and it sounded fierce :thumb:

no gurus round here see a prob with the above then? I'm gonna etch, drill n stuff 16 of these fellas n/w!

new cam landed today so was able to snap a cpl pics of the test module i made up:

testmix-module1.jpg

testmix-module2.jpg

tidied a few bits up since this version, but ready to roll on with mo chans soon as....landed a 6U chassis n all :)

Back