swapping in and out transformers in a mic pre?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leanlowkey

I have a VP28 capi mic pre. I want to swap the input transformer with a cinemag 0887. trying to figure out the exact wiring since the capi transformer is pinned and the cine is wires.

also curious if its possible to swap the output transformers. I have the litz wire 2326 its 6 wires. but I was looking to replace it with a cinemag 3301 but it has 8 wires. is it even possible to do this swap and if so, anyone help on which wires to use or mod needed to make it work. thanks

You have to look the schematics/wiring diagrams for both transformers and compare them. Then it would be easy

Don't expect anyone around here to know what the wiring for a cinemag 0887 or 3301 is.
you should present the information/documents yourself and show that to people if you want to have help

Anyway, Capi transformers are quite good, no reason to change them

Any reason why you wish to swap?
Are you hoping to achieve something? Do you feel the vp28 s lacking something an alternate transformer will fix?
I dont feel its lacking anything . I like the vp28. im more just curious to what it might change or do to the sound. so nothing specific I looking for more of a is it possilble and what would It create

I dont feel its lacking anything .

So that’s great, everything sorted, life is easy then, and be happy and enjoy them and record music. They are made to record music, thats the end goal.
The end goal is not keep changing the components forever

I looking for more of a is it possilble and what would It create

It could create much more work with no reason whatsoever for it. And could create a reduction in time and patience to record with them and make music

Don’t create problems were they don’t even exist

Agreed. Whenever I see people asking about mods immediately when they haven't even spent a lot of time with the device, I get frustrated.

For example in the VP28, Jeff spent a lot of time on this design, and it's awesome. I can't imagine wanting to change anything on a whim.

Agreed. Whenever I see people asking about mods immediately when they haven't even spent a lot of time with the device, I get frustrated.

For example in the VP28, Jeff spent a lot of time on this design, and it's awesome. I can't imagine wanting to change anything on a whim.
ive used the vp28s for awhile now. i have a few and never said his dsign is lacking by any means I love jeffs gear but whats wrong with exploring and swapping out parts to as whoops says "create music" to create something different to learn more along the way?

So that’s great, everything sorted, life is easy then, and be happy and enjoy them and record music. They are made to record music, thats the end goal.
The end goal is not keep changing the components forever

It could create much more work with no reason whatsoever for it. And could create a reduction in time and patience to record with them and make music

yes end goal is to create music but swapping components to see what other sounds it can bring is part of creating music. I didnt get on here looking for the 2 cents of why I should just "be happy" with what I have. I got on here to seek for help and advice on the actual swapping of components to try and find something different and maybe I like it maybe I dont thats part of the fun and learning. I dont think of it as creating a problem its learning and seeing what could happen.

I used to do this type of thing after spending a lot of time researching the circuit, measuring, changing it, having sessions where we would do comparisons and most importantly, did enough work.
Making good microphone would be more useful, fun if you like diy.

I didnt get on here looking for the 2 cents of why I should just "be happy" with what I have.

It doesn't mater what you were looking for or not, this is a public forum and people are free to tell you whatever they want and feels right to them.
No one here is paid by you to do what you want, people write here for Free, so when you ask free advice you might get a reply that is not in line with your thoughts, and that's a great thing because sometimes people have wrong thoughts and assumptions and other's will give a new perspective.
That's out it works in forums, the Free reply might be different from what you expected.

I got on here to seek for help and advice on the actual swapping of components

Well, first of all everyone here provided really important help to you, my self included.
But you didn't even follow my first post advice that was the most important thing for you to get some help.

I have no idea why do you think you will get any help in wring new transformers if you didn't even post the diagrams of both the transformers you already have and the transformers that you want to swap.
Do you really think that people will do that work for you?
That we are going to search every of the 4 transformers ourselves, download all the diagrams, print screen the useful parts, compare them and post all the info here? really?

You don't even help yourself to get help. When asking for help in forums you should always make it as easy as possible for other people to help you out, providing all the information in a clear way is Basic common sense. Our time is valuable and we don't owe anything to any poster.
You seem to thing that you are entitled to have what you want without doing anything for it, Fact is , you're not.

yes end goal is to create music but swapping components to see what other sounds it can bring is part of creating music. I didnt get on here looking for the 2 cents of why I should just "be happy" with what I have. I got on here to seek for help and advice on the actual swapping of components to try and find something different and maybe I like it maybe I dont thats part of the fun and learning. I dont think of it as creating a problem its learning and seeing what could happen.
Yes, and people here are giving you the benefit of years and decades of combined experience. I have found in my experience that all of this swapping out of components is a waste of time. Particularly when you have a high-end device like the VP28. Record with it and enjoy it.

ive used the vp28s for awhile now. i have a few and never said his dsign is lacking by any means I love jeffs gear but whats wrong with exploring and swapping out parts to as whoops says "create music" to create something different to learn more along the way?
If you keep swapping components in and out of a PCB eventually you are going to damage traces, particularly if you don't have the right tools to reliably de-solder things.

Then you're leaving posts on here about having to run bodge wires to fix the damage.

Look, if you want to change out the trafos, have at it. Find the technical docs for the new ones and post them here. I am sure someone will help with wiring issues.

There seems to be no data available online for the RE-0887 transformer. The Cinemag transformers have a pretty consistent scheme for the wire colours, so it's probably possible to make a good guess. Finding the closest match from their current range at Mic Input Audio Transformers By Cinemag Inc. is a place to start.

But what I think the other posters here are trying to say is: don't destroy a good working preamp by trying to desolder an existing input transformer. If you think a solder sucker and a little perseverance will work - it won't. Personally, I'd build a new preamp around the transformer (I guess you already have it) and leave the VP28 unmolested.

Back