Switch Supply Modification

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinebox

Im in the middle of modding a console supply by swapping out a 5v rail for an 18v to adapt to a different console than design intended. I was going to just drop in the same brick with different voltages, but the line of power bricks inside only has a 15v or 24v option. I dont know much about switching supplies, is there a way to swap the mosfet or such to swing the voltage closer to what I could use? The 15v can tweak up to 17.5 which I probably could get away with but I would prefer it a bit higher. Worse case I just use a different company and drop in a 18v brick, but I really like it when stuff stays clean looking and uniform, even if no one will ever see it.

Im in the middle of modding a console supply by swapping out a 5v rail for an 18v to adapt to a different console than design intended. I was going to just drop in the same brick with different voltages, but the line of power bricks inside only has a 15v or 24v option. I dont know much about switching supplies, is there a way to swap the mosfet or such to swing the voltage closer to what I could use? The 15v can tweak up to 17.5 which I probably could get away with but I would prefer it a bit higher. Worse case I just use a different company and drop in a 18v brick, but I really like it when stuff stays clean looking and uniform, even if no one will ever see it.
I would be willing to bet that you could hack the trimmable 15v to make 18v. Just look at the resistors connected to the trimmer and figure out how you have to adjust one, such as by strapping on another, to raise the voltage by 1v.

However, one caveat would be that if you sold it to someone, they could have a grievance claiming that you pushed it beyond it's rated power.

Yeah, I figured it would be something pretty simple like this, just no experience with them. I did a bit of research and actually found a guy with a video doing exactly that. Seems like there is a little hang up when it senses that it has too high of a voltage that would need to be addressed too. I guess I will play around with it and see what I can get away with. I included the video if anyone is researching the same in the future.

Yeah, I figured it would be something pretty simple like this, just no experience with them. I did a bit of research and actually found a guy with a video doing exactly that. Seems like there is a little hang up when it senses that it has too high of a voltage that would need to be addressed too. I guess I will play around with it and see what I can get away with. I included the video if anyone is researching the same in the future.
He just pushed it too far. Way to far actually. Going from 15V to 23V almost doubles the power. Many of the parts are probably not rated for that. It's very possible that the switcher or some diode would get baked and fail early.

But in your case you just need about 1V which should be quite doable.

Also, notice that there was a pad for paralleling the lower-leg of the voltage divider which would have been cleaner and easier.

Back