Switching PSU wall wart for WiFi router interfering with digital dimmers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Potato Cakes

For the last three years in my house, I have had the same WiFi router and the same digital dimmers all working perfectly fine when one day, the Lutron dimmers stopped controlling their respective ceiling fans and lights. Emailed the customer support with Lutron and they said it might be something to do with electrical interference and gave me some steps to try. After doing a number of tests it turns out that WiFi router, more specifically, the wall wart PSU for the router was causing this issue. If I plugged it into a different outlet but same circuit the problem went away, same for plugging it into outlets in the same room as the dimmers. Only when I plug it into one particular outlet in the center of the house does this issue occur. The problem is this one place is where I had the cables for all the other things that plug into the router end up when I did some remodeling, and using a different outlet will make for some hodge podge wiring that will become trip hazards and look awful. I swapped out the PSU and now everything is back to normal with things plugged into the intended locations. It should be noted that the wall wart plugged in to the outlet but not connected to the router does not cause an issue, only when attached to the router.

I've never seen anything like this and I don't know what could be doing this. I thought it would be fun to share if anyone here is looking at using similar dimmers or has had this problem.

Thanks!

Paul

Potato Cakes said:
Is there a Mouser part number for this? Maybe I would need to order some if the new PSU fails.

Thanks!

Paul

Ya know, I'm not sure!  The place they got the boxes from is in the UK:

https://shunyata-uk.com/products/

Something tells me it's probably proprietary, but who knows.  Aside from the specific copper mine they use, it could probably be DIY'd!

Back