Symetrix 501 compressor replacement transformer help

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoGiCa

I bought a non working Symetrix 501 on ebay for a small amount of money and found that the transformer was fried.

I managed to get hold of the transformer data sheet from the manufacturer. I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a suitable replacement?

I'm in the UK and the manufacturer wants $80 plus shipping from the US and it's just not worth investing that much money into it.

I have attached the data sheet to this post and added a link to the schematic.

Thanks for the help!

23k7nzp.jpg

2ly3bwp.jpg

www.symetrixaudio.com/kb/501_sch.pdf

Attachments

• 120013 Data Sheet.pdf
    71.8 KB · Views: 13
That looks like a pretty common split-bobbin power transformer with dual-primary, so you can wire them in parallel for 120V service and in series for 240V.

You can probably source a domestic transformer with single 240V primary that will cover the PS needs.

The two different secondary windings look a little odd, I'd look at the 501 schematic to see if they really need to be different.

JR

> The two different secondary windings look a little odd

bhC0Sko.gif

I have no idea what this says. While the DC loads may be different + and -, the AC loads from PT to FWB must be equal.

The way it is implemented there is a strong 50/60Hz component in the DC. Good balance would null that. So WTF??

I'd find the transformer-series with those dimensions. Verify pin-out so I know if this will be a mess. If easy, find the 22V+22V model, and hope for at least 0.15A rating. As this is only 6.2VA and this core looks larger, probably no problem there.

The pinout *does* look odd. You may end up mounting the PT upside-down with screws, adding leads, and unraveling the connections to the PCB.

http://www.reichelt.nl/RKT-3018/3/index.html?&ACTION=3&LA=446&ARTICLE=15276&artnr=RKT+3018&SEARCH=Transformers%2C+toroid

this one you can use , check the  height, this one is 30mm

Back