t.Bone SC 450 (MXL2001) Mod

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try connecting the pot as a rheostat , connect wiper and the grounded end together and the other terminal to where the upper end of the resistor was , if theres DC at that point it may be noisey when you move the control , best just use the pot to find the sweet spot then replace with the nearest standard value .
wouldn't it be simpler to solder in different resistor values?

Here's the story. ......The next time I checked (might have been 3-4hours later), it sounded totally different - when compared to the first test, it sounded like a entirely different microphone.....
So your story sounds a little bit like:
"Everytime I smoke a cigarette filled with weed the microphone starts to sound way better. So the smoke of my cigarette must have a very positive influence on the microphone...."

.... I stumbled across a thread where someone noticed, that it is quite normal that caps can change their sound in the first couple of minutes/hours, if they're new.
So are you one of those who believe every BS what another one has written on the Internet ?
Which scientific reliable approach have you undertaken to verify this claim before you started to spread this rumours further ?
Please don't tell me now: "I have listened this with my own ears....."

Everything sounds worse when I'm tired. A lot of things sound better after a few good beers. Etc.

Every Chef will tell you the memory of taste only lasts for minutes. And sound is even worse. If you can't instantly compare, it's near impossible to tell.

Visual stuff is easier if you can put the pictures next to one another. But if you're comparing that wonderful sunset in Mexico last year, with your newly found love, to the one yesterday, at home, I don't think there will be much objectivity.

It's rather hard to set up objective tests. That's why I usually prefer to measure first and listen later.

Everything sounds worse when I'm tired. A lot of things sound better after a few good beers. Etc.

Every Chef will tell you the memory of taste only lasts for minutes. And sound is even worse. If you can't instantly compare, it's near impossible to tell.

Visual stuff is easier if you can put the pictures next to one another. But if you're comparing that wonderful sunset in Mexico last year, with your newly found love, to the one yesterday, at home, I don't think there will be much objectivity.

It's rather hard to set up objective tests. That's why I usually prefer to measure first and listen later.
Null test ;)
Greatest thing audio can do.

Null test ;)
Greatest thing audio can do.

I agree, but not always possible.

Besides, if you use the Linux program "diff" for checking data, you'll find that some programs don't always write exactly the same data. I've seen that happening with mysql, Word and some (older) audio editors.

I'd take a look at the internals of the t.bone SC460 if you can find pictures of one, or a schematic, because it actually does have a cardioid/omni switch. But you'll also need a dual diaphragm capsule since omni on an LDC is cardioid+cardoid. Omni also isn't great on an LDC. It's usable but it's not completely non-directional if that's what you think you'll be getting. I wouldn't do something like mic a group with an multipattern LDC in omni because I find the sides suffer a bit. I haven't done any sort of scientific testing, just speaking into my multipattern mics on omni from different angles, and it happens on my AT4050, CAD M179s, iSK BM-600, Behringer B2 Pro, and my C414 B-ULS. Maybe it's better at a distance but close miking I don't really care for dual diaphragm omni or hypercardioid.
Hi,
Here I just came across schematics for SC 450. Didn't see that before on the web.
I've decide to skip omni mod. You were right, I too get much better results with SDC omnis.

Cheers

Attachments

• t.bone SC450 Shematics.jpeg
    t.bone SC450 Shematics.jpeg
    107.7 KB · Views: 10
Got this cheap white ring RK-87 style capsule from ebay. Capsule swap turned out to be key upgrade to this mic. Top end has that nice hyped airy quality, more detail and life to it. With very little EQ correction this mic can deliver very good results on vocals and more.
In second photo I tried to change stock grille and it only tamed and blurred the sound of the mic, stock grille is much better choice but it was interesting experiment. Luckily I didn't pay for that grille.
Still haven't played with jfet biasing, I'll probably leave that to someone with right tools and knowledge for that.

Cheers

Attachments

• sc450 mod 2.jpeg
    sc450 mod 2.jpeg
    222.6 KB · Views: 3
  • sc450 mod 1.jpeg
    sc450 mod 1.jpeg
    168.6 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back