TAB V76 Clone - Another Take

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So here comes some relief. At least for me. This marks kind of an end of a journey. :) UTM -> Great components.
Messured at full gain and @ 12dB(U) output level. Max gain is 68dB due to the lower ratios of the input tx and higher ratio of the output tx.Bildschirmfoto 2023-10-11 um 14.46.16.png

Last edited:
Somehow related to this topic: I have to repair a V76 with a broken input transformer. Customer ordered a Sowter replacement which I installed.
At lower gain settings ( V76 input pad) I have a significant HF roll off starting at 5K. Only with Input pad at 34dB and higher I get the response perfectly flat to 20K.
Now here comes the thing: I did a sweep with the input pad and the Sowter only ( thus taken from he secondary) and I have a flat response at all pad settings.
I did the same test on an original V76 input transformer and there I have a HF roll off starting at a 34dB pad setting. Any setting below that gives a flat response. I'm suspecting the Sowter once build in, but I have no clue.
Anyone ?
And yes the V76 filters are bypassed, actually it doesn't matter, behaviour stays the same.
Thanks

so as expected, the odd response is coming from the Sowter input and with the original transformer it gets compensated in the feedback switching.
The 2uf cap in the first 4 positions or do I see it wrong ?

Do you mean the cap in the anode of the second tube?
I believe it’s there to remove DC from the feedback network.

I think CJ was right when he said that he doesn’t know any good 1:30 transformers of current production.
Cinemag openly tells that they don’t make mic trafos with such a high ratio.
I’m very disappointed with Sowter, frankly. This is not how a professional manufacturer should behave. It clearly shows that they haven’t tested their replacement transformer in real circuit.

They use 1:10 input trafos.
I can understand that, because above that the air becomes very thin. I'm not a transformer mystic, but certain transformers really do require rare components and, above all, knowledge. It's not easy to build such gems, it requires a lot of experience and careful consideration of all the important parameters. The whole thing is a compromise at the highest level, it's a great pity that a lot of expertise and experience has been lost in this area in recent years.

In my opinion, some classics (not only germans) can only be replicated to a limited extent for precisely this reason. The iron used (including the chokes) is something like a copy protection dongle, it is really hard to get them sound like the originals...

Last edited:
Original 76 has that 1:30 input wrapped in a ton of mu metal,

A Jensen 1:10 sounds better than the stock 1:30 to me at least. And there is plenty of gain to make up for the ratio.

I told Ollie this and he started to offer his 76 with a 1:10.

Original 76 has that 1:30 input wrapped in a ton of mu metal,

A Jensen 1:10 sounds better than the stock 1:30 to me at least. And there is plenty of gain to make up for the ratio.

I told Ollie this and he started to offer his 76 with a 1:10.
Stop giving away all the good secrets CJ!!!! 😜

I think CJ was right when he said that he doesn’t know any good 1:30 transformers of current production.
Cinemag openly tells that they don’t make mic trafos with such a high ratio.
I’m very disappointed with Sowter, frankly. This is not how a professional manufacturer should behave. It clearly shows that they haven’t tested their replacement transformer in real circuit.
It’s difficult to make a good transformer with that high of a ratio, I’m surprised when it works, I believe 1:10 is about all that should be made, not sure why you’d need a bigger ratio outside of phono cartridges or something, but I agree would have expected better too.

You can use taps to increase the ratio, that's what the MC cartridge crowd does with the likes of the Peerless K-241-D etc.

The 1:30 uses the disc method of winding to keep the HF response decent, It also uses a huge core which is why people like the 76 for the kick drum.
Put a 4 inch wolfer over the sound hole with a step up transformer into the 76 and you can get sub wolfer sounds to mix with the internal mic and the 57 near the beater.

Good evening gentlemen,

about a year ago a had a job in Berlin and for a week I was commuting every morning and evening for a bit more than 30 minutes. I cant recall why I started to draw the V76 schematic in spice but a some point I had a well working model of the preamp. I played around with that model to get to know the circuit better. Also I read through the V76 threads here in GDIY and gathered quite a bit knowledge about the preamp. During the past year I could gather two Sowter V76 input transformers and four Lundahl anode chokes on Ebay. Output will be some Edcor iron I have here. From the U23 build I have power transformers and a PSU PCB what could do the job.

So I plan to build a stereo unit with PSU included. PSU is regulated with DC filaments. I needed to extend the PSU and designed a voltage quadrupler 12 -> 48V. I am quite curious if this will work. I designed pcbs along the tips and tricks I found in the other V76 threads. I integrated a DI input, skipped all the filter stages. Added in and output pad.

I will use EF86 or PF86 instead of the EF804. All capacitors in the signal path are film. Front panel comes from Frank. He did an awesome job again. I will drive the VUs from a chines VU buffer. The PCBs offers two positions to hook it up. I ll see what works best.

Today I assembled the front panel. Thanks again @gyraf for the knobs. I still live off of them. :) I will stuff the PSU PCB the next days and make a documentation of the build here. I hope you people enjoy the thread.

Best,
FalkView attachment 113481View attachment 113482View attachment 113483

Latest posts

Back