TAC Scorpion PSU transformer question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Potato Cakes

Hello friends!

While I wait till my garage is finished and to wrap up the handful of projects I have yet to finish building, I'm doing all my research for the TAC Scorpion 24x16 that I have waiting to be completely overhauled. If I change the the transformer in the PSU to one that has a higher kVA rating, does that give me more amperage available for console upgrades? I'm waiting on the guys at Eli-Audio to get back to me on a number of upgrade circuits that are in development, but their concern is that they would draw more current than the console's PSU was originally spec'd to handle. I have seen some guys selling completely new PSUs for these desks that have more amps for this sort of issue, but they cost about a grand. That's not too big of a deal for me, but if I can swap out some of the parts during the PSU recap and achieve the same goal of more power available to the console and put the saved money back into the project, then obviously I would rather do that.

Thanks!

Paul

Power rating of your PSU is about BOTH transformer AND regulation electronics rating.

Just upping the transformer would only make sense if you know for a fact that it was dimensioned lower than the associated regulation electronics.

Most often it's the other way around.

Jakob E.

Jakob,

So if I'm understanding this correctly, when I go to buy new regulatory components, I would just need to make sure their power specs exceed the new transformer, correct?

Thanks!

Paul

I´d start with adding a fan to the PSU. Before your PSU runs out of power it will get very hot. If you cool it properly then you will be able to pull power close to the edge for much longer time than without a fan.

There was a higher current rated power supply that essentially looks the same with larger transformer and a fan. Power supplies are usually all about HEAT, meaning that it is the heat of various components that determines the overall power rating. Having heatsinks inside the box was a poor idea and relies on a fan to get rid of the heat.

Back